Re-routing rear offside front to back brake pipe. - Performance and Technical - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Re-routing rear offside front to back brake pipe.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

HawkerR32

HawkerR32

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • LocationAltrincham, Cheshire
So in the process of doing all the brakes on the MK4.
Replacing the mid lines with braided ones and the brake pipe was corroded it twisted and ended up splitting which meant it started to leak fluid.

Now this is the pipe that runs from the abs module to the offside rear. Had to be he most awkward one didn't it.
This pipe runs over the fuel tank which makes it a pain to remove and even more of a pain to run a new one in. I've had a good look and taken the fuel tank straps off supported with a jack the tank didn't even drop one bit. I've heard that all you have to do is drop it a few cm and you can wiggle the pipe out. I think making it an r32 it's alot more work than a standard golf as there's more under there.

Why VW didn't just run the pipe from the abs module across the car and along the offside frame rail instead is beyond me.

This leads me to question, can I just cut out the old pipe instead of trying to get it out in one piece. I'll then make my own up in copper nickel and run it in a different path?

I'm thinking either from the abs module down to the steering rack area, across to the offside and then along the frame rail straight to the right rear mid hose.

Or from the abs module across the fire wall, down and then across the frame rail. Any ideas why this wouldn't work?

Cheers.
Instagram: hawkerr_j

Mk4 build thread: https://www.r32oc.com...k4/page__st__90

Rawr_32

Rawr_32

Sausage Fingers

• Members
  • 3704 posts
Did you undo the 13mm bolts going through plastic tabs on either side or the tank? You can get good access to the brake pipe and unclip it properly

As you’re looking into the wheel arch they bolt up vertically and can be found roughly at the mid point between spring perch and front edge of brake disc.

HawkerR32

HawkerR32

• Members
  • 615 posts

Did you undo the 13mm bolts going through plastic tabs on either side or the tank? You can get good access to the brake pipe and unclip it properly
As you’re looking into the wheel arch they bolt up vertically and can be found roughly at the mid point between spring perch and front edge of brake disc.

Not sure what you mean. The pipe isn't near the rear wheel arch? It ends next to the fuel filter up and over the tank down and then along the frame rail to the abs module.

HawkerR32

HawkerR32

• Members
  • 615 posts
I've managed to get the old pipe out but not in one piece and had to bend it in some places so I'm not able to bend a new pipe using the original template. Might have to just make the new one in situ or run it in a different path.

HawkerR32

HawkerR32

• Members
  • 615 posts

Just had a look at what you're saying. Do you mean the bolt that is holding the filler neck on the driver's side and then there's another in the pass side? If I undo them do you think the tank will drop abit?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.