2004 MK4 R32 Weird Cabin Raddle Noise? - Performance and Technical - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

2004 MK4 R32 Weird Cabin Raddle Noise?

Vehicle

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

exodus1337

exodus1337

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I just got this car and Im hearing a weird cabin noise. It sounds like someone tapping on something or a pump maybe? I saw that timing chains can get noisy around 90k-110k miles. I clipped the engine bay as well, it sounds good to me. Also the rate of the noise doesn't increase with acceleration just stays the same.. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side in the inside the cabin. Any help or any ideas would be amazing. She feels good and pulls hard I really hope its something stupid. The first part of the video is the tapping sound inside the cabin then second is the engine at idle from the outside.

exodus1337

exodus1337

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I found out it must be linked to hvac or something.. I couldnt sleep thinking the worst of course. But switching hvac to auto then econ then changing the direction of air from feet to face air.. and the knocking sound went away.. I wonder if if the motor that control the air flow direction is going out?

buyers remorse

buyers remorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

If it is a rhythmic clicking or knocking, it could well be some of the actuators that open/close the vents for the HVAC.

I don't know about the Mk4, but on the Mk5 there are several and they are a fairly expensive part for what is just a 12/13V DC motor and a potentiometer sad.gif

If you can hook your card up to VCDS it might guide you to which ones are causing the problem.

You'll find guides online for how to wash the pots (helped for about a day or so for me), replace the pots (again, only a temporary fix for me) or replace the motors themselves (AliExpress or Ebay).

This is one of the actuators from the MkV

Attached File  20210306_092536.jpg   57.68KB   0 downloads

• exodus1337 likes this

exodus1337

exodus1337

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

If it is a rhythmic clicking or knocking, it could well be some of the actuators that open/close the vents for the HVAC.

I don't know about the Mk4, but on the Mk5 there are several and they are a fairly expensive part for what is just a 12/13V DC motor and a potentiometer sad.gif

If you can hook your card up to VCDS it might guide you to which ones are causing the problem.

You'll find guides online for how to wash the pots (helped for about a day or so for me), replace the pots (again, only a temporary fix for me) or replace the motors themselves (AliExpress or Ebay).

This is one of the actuators from the MkV

attachicon.gif20210306_092536.jpg

Thanks for the info brother!! Yea it happened again but seems to disappear as long as I have the air in Auto mode and don't go below 22c.. Soon as I lower the temp down that noise comes back. If turn auto air off and turn the fans completely off, the noise is still present. If I leave it in Auto mode and turn everything off the noise is gone.. like the other modes are engaging something but auto mode doesn't?.. Super weird.. I guess I'll have to dive deeper with a VW mechanic or something.. I hate cabin noises lol.

I had one more weird thing happen yesterday and today. After a cold start I heard a similar style knocking noise coming from the rear end just not as loud. Both times it occurred after I moved the car like 20 feet about to pull out into traffic. So I went from a cold start in my parking spot to first gear then a complete stop before pulling out into traffic, sitting in neutral. Then a faint knocking noise over and over in the rear end for like 5/10 seconds.

After driving for 5 minutes and stopping again to listen, there's nothing and even after an hour still nothing. I am wondering if its the differential or something? It's only happened twice now but I have zero clue. So hard to figure odd sounds unless something is actually malfunction or broken. I'm new to the car and don't know if its a normal thing. Maybe the diff or Haldex system warming up or something or just on its on its way out.. She only has 87k miles so nothing crazy and the maintenance records looks good. I'm still researching common issues and haven't had the car long enough.  

Edited by exodus1337, 18 April 2021 - 07:52 PM.

DubNurd

DubNurd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationWhangarei, NZ

on the MK5, you can strip the motors, clean them out and lube with plastic safe grease.

You can also buy just the pots and replace them.

Google climatronic flap alignment MK5 too - it sets all the end points, but also runs the motors and pots end to end.

Maybe the MK4 has the same???

Edited by DubNurd, 18 April 2021 - 07:59 PM.

Allan

My non-Golf .:R32
29361330218_1f724845b0_o.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vehicle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.