Canbus Gateway location / removal - Tutorials and Guides - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Canbus Gateway location / removal

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1833 posts
  • LocationKent

This is only intended as a rough guide to follow there are other ways to remove the gateway :)

Wanted to update can gateway for various reasons loads of write ups on what to do before and after the change but no obvious pics etc where it was on my RHD car 2008 R32.

I sort of knew from stripping car apart before that it was at the back of the relay box, well it’s an absolute pig to get to, there is a great loom of wire in the way, the small detachable set of relays won’t pull right out leaving there stretched wires in your way, you can't put your hand right up the back of the relay box to even feel it, get a torch look right at back of here

CIMG0221.jpg

you'll see the red plug....unclip it here and pull out the way a bit to see better

CIMG0220.jpg

After stripping a lot of dash, cutting my hands to shreds on sharp plastic etc I’d had enough, because I’d seen something at the back of the dash i decided to put the dash back together and to tackle this from a different direction.

Bare with me here as you’re going to think I’m bonkers but it takes a max of 15-30 mins to do and will give you very easy access to the gateway.

You will need a T30 torx bit , 10mm socket , 13 mm socket

You will not need to dismantle dash at all we're starting under the bonnet/hood

Open the bonnet and remove these bits from the windscreen wipers

CIMG0245.jpg

Take your 13mm socket and undo the 2 windscreen wiper nuts under the black covers you've removed....some of you might be really lucky at this point and have them pull off with just a small wiggle, but for most of you you'll have to give it some effort wobbling it back and forth to free it up to remove it from its splines, don't forget WD40 is your friend here.

Also try this way

After removing the nuts..
Put the arm in the service position,(ignition on then off, then flick the wiper stalk, bonnet also needs to be shut) raise the arm 90 degrees to be parallel with the shaft/spindle. Hold the arm and rock side to side (not too much pressure though) and it will come off. I found using this method took about 1-2 minutes to remove each arm. The reason why this works is that when you examine the spindle, you will see it to be a cone shape with the large base near the windscreen. When you put it parallel to the spindle and rock it reduces the surface area and gives more leverage

you might also want to get one of these (windscreen wiper removal tools) cheap from eBay as there sometimes a pig to get off

wipertool_zps0e6cf87f.jpg

Now there off pull this out from the bottom of the windscreen it only pushes in so it’s easy

CIMG0240.jpg

CIMG0241.jpg

Once this is removed pop off this bit with your 10mm socket

CIMG0234.jpg
CIMG0233.jpg
CIMG0235.jpg

Once this is off your nearly there, you should be about 8 mins in by now.....now to remove the wiper mechanism

undo the plug from the wiper, then take your 10mm socket undo these

CIMG0232.jpg

Take T30 torx undo this

CIMG0231-1.jpg

Gently manipulate the wiper assembly out by twisting and turning etc it does pop out honest, try not to scratch the paint 

Once removed you will see this

CIMG0230.jpg

Whip off the 3 x 10mm bolts and voila just behind it is the gateway

CIMG0225.jpg

Now it doesn't use its own clips to hold it in it’s held in with a clip here

CIMG0226.jpg

If you are getting a pre coded gateway (instead of doing the VCDS stuff) make sure the ignition is OFF. Obviously if your VCDS afterwards like in the tutorial then you can clear all the faults later on.

NOW GET TO YOUR PC AND DO THE VCDS STUFF FOUND HERE

CAN bus gateway removing, installing and upgrading – Volkswagen Golf | my-gti.com

It’s very easy to refit all the bits that were just remove as its only nuts and bolts, no tearing your hands to bits on plastic etc.

MAKE SURE YOU CLEAR ALL ERRORS FROM EACH CONTROLLER WITH VCDS INDUVIDUALLY THEN ALL DONE.

Edited by SI-R32, 21 April 2018 - 09:39 AM.

• Jonnygr and Wastegate86 like this
8 sensor OPS displayed on RNS-510 DAB, S6 DRL's With lights on dimming, MK6 RVC, Auto popping hatch, MK6 MFSW / MDI in glove box. MK6 BT unit, Retro fitted folding / puddle lighted / reverse dip mirrors, Focal 3 way front & JL rears from a Blaupunkt THA 475 Amp. Miltek resonated Exhaust / AMD Essex remap / Forge air intake /Blue Haldex /H&R front & rear ARB's / Genuine Golf R 19" Talladega wheels / Valeo Skyline LED's / MK6 Climatroic / Full LED upgrade / VW TV Installed / Recaro seats / to come soon front cornering fogs and park assist

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

>Fitting/Wiring A6 DRL's-Change brake discs/pads-Canbus Removal/Location-Optical Front/Rear Sensors-Change Multifunction Wheel-Fitting/Wiring Front & Rear Speakers<

M44NTU-3.2

M44NTU-3.2

• Members
  • 983 posts
great way to do it instead of the normal way,
i did it the normal way if you can call it that, i agree with you can be difficult if youve got big hands

manny

MKV DSG 5 DR DBP

RETRO-FITTED/MODS

V7 MAPS WITH FULL 7 DIGIT POSTAL CODE SEARCH <> PASSAT CC CLIMATRONIC WITH DISPLAY ON RNS-510 <> MDI
FOLDING WING MIRRORS WITH MEMORY FUNCTION & AMBIENT MIRROR ILLUMINATION <> DOOR EXIT WARNING LIGHTS <> DOOR HANDLE ILLUMINATION <>
LOWTEC SPRINGS 20/30 (next) <> MK6 GOLF R MFSW (next) <> MK6 OEM REVERSE CAMERA (next) <> OPTICAL PARKING SENSORS WITH DISPLAY ON RNS-510 (next)
SKODA OCTAVIA RS DRL (next) <> OEM REMOTE BOOT POP (next) <> 19" ROTIFORM MIA GLOSS BLACK (next) <> 19" OEM BLACK TALLADEGAS (next)

VCDS (VAG-COM) MICRO CAN LEAD

Posted Image

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1833 posts
  • LocationKent
it was f**cking horrible i do have slightly big hands that are now cut and scratched up....lol....and i was just fed up with trying to manipulate everything out the way to get to something i couldn't see, then i noticed the plastic bulkhead, looks like a lot to remove its just nuts and bolts so it flys off piece of piss.
8 sensor OPS displayed on RNS-510 DAB, S6 DRL's With lights on dimming, MK6 RVC, Auto popping hatch, MK6 MFSW / MDI in glove box. MK6 BT unit, Retro fitted folding / puddle lighted / reverse dip mirrors, Focal 3 way front & JL rears from a Blaupunkt THA 475 Amp. Miltek resonated Exhaust / AMD Essex remap / Forge air intake /Blue Haldex /H&R front & rear ARB's / Genuine Golf R 19" Talladega wheels / Valeo Skyline LED's / MK6 Climatroic / Full LED upgrade / VW TV Installed / Recaro seats / to come soon front cornering fogs and park assist

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

>Fitting/Wiring A6 DRL's-Change brake discs/pads-Canbus Removal/Location-Optical Front/Rear Sensors-Change Multifunction Wheel-Fitting/Wiring Front & Rear Speakers<

M44NTU-3.2

M44NTU-3.2

• Members
  • 983 posts
yea i get what ur saying, mabye thats the way your supposed to take it off actually, did you get it from elsawin. dealers prob do your way,

MKV DSG 5 DR DBP

RETRO-FITTED/MODS

V7 MAPS WITH FULL 7 DIGIT POSTAL CODE SEARCH <> PASSAT CC CLIMATRONIC WITH DISPLAY ON RNS-510 <> MDI
FOLDING WING MIRRORS WITH MEMORY FUNCTION & AMBIENT MIRROR ILLUMINATION <> DOOR EXIT WARNING LIGHTS <> DOOR HANDLE ILLUMINATION <>
LOWTEC SPRINGS 20/30 (next) <> MK6 GOLF R MFSW (next) <> MK6 OEM REVERSE CAMERA (next) <> OPTICAL PARKING SENSORS WITH DISPLAY ON RNS-510 (next)
SKODA OCTAVIA RS DRL (next) <> OEM REMOTE BOOT POP (next) <> 19" ROTIFORM MIA GLOSS BLACK (next) <> 19" OEM BLACK TALLADEGAS (next)

Posted Image

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1833 posts
  • LocationKent
I wish it had been in Elsa they show one location only and you don't even know where that is, its an awful write up tried jetta and golf 2006-2009 no difference on any model clearly VW don't realise there fitted all over the place for RHD and LHD still all done now and working fine...

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

M44NTU-3.2

M44NTU-3.2

• Members
  • 983 posts
yep, read that also, i couldnt find mine first, all the guides on the net said the gateway is by the steering column, left hand side, took me about 20mins and a phone call to nick on here to find it, but once you find it, very easy, ive got the AF gateway installed, originally had Q gateway installed, but got the AF thinking it would cure the clima fault, but it wasnt that, good thing i got it anyway, gonna need it for the steering wheel and OPS

MKV DSG 5 DR DBP

RETRO-FITTED/MODS

Posted Image

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1833 posts
  • LocationKent
yeah i've got AF had L ,also need for all 12 buttons on wheel thats why i got it....pity it was 4 deg here all day i was proper cold

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

M44NTU-3.2

M44NTU-3.2

• Members
  • 983 posts
lol yea its still cold, on the mk6 wheel, wat are the extra 4 buttons for over the mk5 wheel, phone?

MKV DSG 5 DR DBP

RETRO-FITTED/MODS

Posted Image

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1833 posts
  • LocationKent
left side buttons are volume up down track/radio left right, phone button in the middle and on its own at the bottom is a mic button

right side are for going through mfd, so arrow up down left right,ok in the middle and an arrow back at the bottom on its own

don't know there excat function but have read that all 12 can work on golf 5

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

M44NTU-3.2

M44NTU-3.2

• Members
  • 983 posts
good stuff, want all 12 to work, but obviously phone button wont work unless phone is wired up etc

MKV DSG 5 DR DBP

RETRO-FITTED/MODS

Posted Image

N13KKF™

N13KKF™

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 3797 posts
  • LocationESSEX
Simon with all your research and ideas of the gateway location on a 04 reg? Not that ive looked yet! Ive found them in different places on 06 and 57! I tell you what if its above the pedals (not where urs/mines located) its a right pain if its manual, dsg is easy!

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1833 posts
  • LocationKent
Hi Nick

Are we talking mk4 for 04 reg or very early mark 5 as i don't know the swap over time....if mk4 nick then i have no idea what so ever sorry, but if mk 5 then as you've already said above the pedals either clutch or accelerator, behind the switches where the esp button is or the location we have above and behind relay box.

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

mortygt140

mortygt140

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
The buttons on the mk6 steering wheel is nothing to do with the Can bus Controller I'm afraid, The cluster is the deciding factor and it has to be the newer BAP white display. So unless you fit the newer Scirocco R cluster you'll never get the full 12 buttons working.

Also the newer cluster gets its info from the newer type BCM so you would need to fit that aswell :(

Darren

Callmedude

Callmedude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
Followed this to change my gateway and found it excellent.

There's only 2 things that I thought might be useful to members.

1) if you are getting a pre coded gateway (instead of having the VAG com stuff) then you need to NOT have the keys in the ignition. Obviously if do the VAG com afterwards like in the tutorial then you can clear all the faults.

2) I found getting the wiper arms off the most difficult part and I'm [email protected] at doing these things. One of the tips I found was as follows:

After removing the bolts..
Put the arm in the service position, raise the arm 90 degrees to be parallel with the shaft/spindle. Hold the arm and rock side to side (not too much pressure though) and it will come off. I found using this method took about 15-30 seconds to remove the each arm. The reason why this works is that when you examine the spindle, you will see it to be a cone shape with the large base near the windscreen. When you put it parrallel to the spindle and rock it reduces the surface area and gives more leverage.

NickR85

NickR85

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Followed this guide today, was easy to do and only took about 30 minutes, cheers to the OP.

Ttwo

Ttwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Omg I've got the manual and I watched a vid on how todo it from above the pedals ....but there's was a dsg! That's the key word dsg....as mine had a clutch assembly lol so what I thought would be a easy job took me just over a hour on my back with cuts all up my hands and arms and wet from rain....I will never never never never EVER do that again lol and I thought I had normal size hand and thought it will be ok....NO...unless your hands and arms are the same size as a 5yr then forget it doubt it from under the steering wheel and do it this way! :)

cokecan

cokecan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNottingham
Thank you for this guide! Made things so much easier. Other guides that tell you to attack it from the inside make it seem so easy! I couldn't even see the CAN gateway inside. Going at it from the outside was a doddle except for the seized wiper arm that was stuck on a spline.

Had a K-revision CAN previously which I suspected may have been suffering battery drain as the car did occasionally struggle to start even with the battery drain fix in place on the RNS-510 retro fit. Recently upgraded the Bluetooth module to a 9W7 based unit which the old CAN gateway couldn't talk to, so this upgrade has been a win win really
Posted Image

daveleeuk

daveleeuk

• Members
  • 628 posts
  • LocationDorset (Bournemouth)

I just did it the hard way because I figured removing the wipers would be an arse. Now my back's fcuked lol. Also my new gateway is incorrectly coded and cant figure out what it bloody is 

Gti Fly

Gti Fly

• Members
  • 5435 posts
For what it's worth, the can bus on my 2008 jetta tdi is in exactly the same place as this.

I spent an hour trying to locate the can bus when I was fitting optical parking sensors, every guide was saying the can bus was located behind the headlight switch, which in the case of the jetta is not!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.