Black .:R - Members Rides - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Black .:R

• Please log in to reply
419 replies to this topic

Bailey12856

Bailey12856

• Members
  • 1094 posts
Picked her up Monday, the drive back was incredible. Dont think I can really say much else, apart from I think I fell in love.

When picking the car up though I knew of an issue that was found which was water in the rear footwell, but I decided to go for it anyway hoping I could sort it easy enough, anyway thats proved to be a bit of a pain in the arse now. Will explain later :@

As well as that, on the 70mile drive home with the car I didnt have the radio on as I wanted to hear that engine, even most of the next day no stereo. When I finally did turn it on the speaker in the passenger door began to cut in and out, so now im thinking maybe the water is coming through that way.

Enough talking some pictures (havent had time to clean her yet because I'm still trying to get to the bottom of the leak issue, and if I cant get it sorted by the weekend I'm going to drop her off at a garage before I go back to work, and probably pay out of my arse)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Side by side with the old car (sorry for awful photos, all taken on iPhone)

Posted Image

No major plans just yet. But i've done a few subtle changes, R caps, R valve caps, Forge strut caps, Rear Polo wiper and stubby aerial just to clean up the overall look.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Other things I'm currently considering (although nothing until the current issues are fixed)

Milltek non-res exhaust
Shortshifter
Lowering springs (not sure yet, as I cant drop it much lower as ive already got to come off the drive at an angle to stop the plastic catching)
Cupra splitter
Front strut brace (asthetics really)

Ive still got some spacers too from the old car which never got fitted 10mm for front and 20mm for rear. Will be fitting these as soon as I can source some locking bolts long enough.

Tebbsy

Tebbsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Tidy looking mobile, best colour too! Good luck with the water. might be worth checking the drain holes in the door?

gibbsy

gibbsy

• Members
  • 688 posts
nice car fella would be even better if it had more doors lol
Black is the hardest color to keep clean but when clean looks the best, no arguments there then.

Jet9

Jet9

• Members
  • 1436 posts
Looks good mate - check door rubbers and windscreen seals.
  • Zig likes this
2008 Mk V DSG, DBP

Bailey12856

Bailey12856

• Members
  • 1094 posts

Tidy looking mobile, best colour too! Good luck with the water. might be worth checking the drain holes in the door?

Been looking for the last two days both front and rear drains off the sunroof are fine no blockages water is running freely. Checked the drains at the bottom of the door and same thing it doesn't appear to be getting in anywhere. This was checked with the seat out and carpets up. However I'm more swayed towards it been around the door area because of the fact the speaker is cutting out. Also checked the pollen filter and that was bone dry and in very good condition, according to the receipts I got with the car this was replaced not too long ago. And when I took it out it was fitted fine.

The water had created a pool in the rear and the sound proofing had soaked loads up like a sponge, but that's been out and is almost totally dry now. When I checked the front footwell no sitting water but the sound proofing was wet so thats also been taken out and left to dry.

I'm going back out to the car in a minute to check if anymore water has appeared if not then I'm back to soaking the car and trying to spot the leak.

Oliver73

Oliver73

• Members
  • 2803 posts
  • LocationKent
My MkIV tdi got water in the rear footwell twice!

The first time I found it soon after it appeared, and I blotted it up asap. It stayed damp for a while but went with no apparent consequences. The second time I didnt notice for several weeks, and by then there was a pool and it had also gone mouldy, and started to stink! It took a valet session and months of open windows and fabreezing to get all the smell out. It only appeared in winter, presumably due to the wetter weather and closed window driving. Lucky It was well ant truly gone before I sold it, lets just hope if it appears again for her it doesnt cause too much trouble!

It smelt like sick funnily enough, so if any of you start to get a wiff of sick, check your rear footwells! I'd also strongly suggest you check them regularly anyway. Believe me and Bailey, this is one issue you really do not want!!!

Oliver73

Oliver73

• Members
  • 2803 posts
  • LocationKent
Sorry to sidetrack your thread a bit, Lovely car! :)

Bailey12856

Bailey12856

• Members
  • 1094 posts

My MkIV tdi got water in the rear footwell twice!

The first time I found it soon after it appeared, and I blotted it up asap. It stayed damp for a while but went with no apparent consequences. The second time I didnt notice for several weeks, and by then there was a pool and it had also gone mouldy, and started to stink! It took a valet session and months of open windows and fabreezing to get all the smell out. It only appeared in winter, presumably due to the wetter weather and closed window driving. Lucky It was well ant truly gone before I sold it, lets just hope if it appears again for her it doesnt cause too much trouble!

It smelt like sick funnily enough, so if any of you start to get a wiff of sick, check your rear footwells! I'd also strongly suggest you check them regularly anyway. Believe me and Bailey, this is one issue you really do not want!!!

Thats the thing ive got the carpet up and the sound proofing out from both the rear and front and even though they were drenched (almost dried out now) it doesnt stink. So it doesnt seem as though its been sitting there a long time. Ive just tried again running water over the car for the last 20-30mins and with the carpets up havent noticed a single drop of water come into the car, so now im unsure what to do. Ive pretty much checked everything apart from removing the panel inside the door to expose all the electrical internals and check that seal as per this thread Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide - SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum

Bailey12856

Bailey12856

• Members
  • 1094 posts
Anyway I need to get the issue looked at with the "intermittent" speaker issue. Anyone recommened a place for me to take the car in the Middlesbrough/Teesside area?

NickP

NickP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
Car looks very tidy mate

Bailey12856

Bailey12856

• Members
  • 1094 posts
Just ordered myself some H&R springs from Awesome. None immediately in stock to send, but im going back to work next week and not home till the 25th so no rush. Just looking forward to getting home and fitting them :D

daveyboy

daveyboy

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • LocationTORQUAY
make sure the weather strip underneath the door is not stopping the water coming out of the drain holes. Mine had this problem.
Posted Image

Rich R32

Rich R32

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7998 posts
Looks like you found a cracking example MK4 R for a 74+K miler and in the best colour too....;)

Hope you get all the little niggles sorted out soon.

Btw, welcome to the oc :top:
Banner by Rich R32, on Flickr

Bailey12856

Bailey12856

• Members
  • 1094 posts

Looks like you found a cracking example MK4 R for a 74+K miler and in the best colour too....;)

Hope you get all the little niggles sorted out soon.

Btw, welcome to the oc :top:

Thanks for the welcome Rich :top: and definately the best colour, just the hardest to keep clean too.

Anyway update on the leak.

Id been running the car since Thursday with no sound proofing in, just a load of newspaper and these cotton pads. Firstly the rain has pissed me off last night because I havent had a chance to see if the water has came from any system on the car :@

But anyway, we had what seems like a pretty decent rainfall last night, and when ive lifted the carpets up the newspaper in the front footwell was bone dry. But in the rear footwell very damp. Took the newspaper out and I was left with a little bit of sitting water.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now its beginning to really pee me off because I cant see any sign of the water "running" down to the footwell, it just seems to be appearing there. At no other point anywhere around the rear footwell do I have any sign of water.

Im completely lost at what to do now :dontknow:

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!!! :banghead:

Rich R32

Rich R32

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7998 posts
Some info HERE and HERE which may be of help? ;)

Another common problem, not saying it's on yours....is THIS something to bear in mind. :top:
Banner by Rich R32, on Flickr

Bailey12856

Bailey12856

• Members
  • 1094 posts
Anyway cleaned the car yesterday so some more photos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

But whilst cleaning noticed this on the roof, just took the photos now so excuse the darkness/poor quality. But could this be my problem? Ive took photos of both sides to show the difference.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Bailey12856, 26 March 2011 - 01:54 PM.

Rory

Rory

• Members
  • 1594 posts
That's just the runners mate - they come straight out - get a flat head screw driver and lift from the boot end then just give them a clean and realign! No biggie :) just looks like the last person didn't put them in properly?
Rory

Turrican

Turrican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Another thing to check are the rubber gromets on the underside of the car. If any of these are not seated properly then driving on wet roads can force water into the footwell.

Bailey12856

Bailey12856

• Members
  • 1094 posts

Another thing to check are the rubber gromets on the underside of the car. If any of these are not seated properly then driving on wet roads can force water into the footwell.

Grommets have all been checked and are in good nick. Anyway I'm going away today so it's going to be put in the garage until I'm home at the end of the month then back to checking again. Also new springs and spacers will be getting fitted :rock:

West

West

• Members
  • 760 posts
While you have those runners at the roof out, make sure to check if there is rust bubbles under that strip. When I removed mine there was a little bit of rust bubbles starting to form. I got it repaired and the entire roofsection resprayed under VW warrenty. Seems its about 12years paintwarrenty or something :top:
Frank

2012 - ........ | 2003 VW Golf R32 HGP460
2014 - ........ | 2012 VW UP Bluemotion

2012 - 2013 | 2000 VW Lupo 1.4 16V
2008 - 2012 | 2003 VW Golf R32

Bailey12856

Bailey12856

• Members
  • 1094 posts
Got home late last night, and was straight out to the pub. But this morning I got to open my goody box that arrived from Awesome GTi

Posted Image

Also picked up new top mounts and bearings for when they get fitted on Thursday. Also going on the car are my spacers 10mm front and 20mm rear. Had these to go on the old car but never got round to it.

Posted Image

Excited for Thursday now :dancing2:

schoona

schoona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
Hope the install goes smoothly and you are happy.

Really nice car mate, looks immaculate!

You'll never believe this, we just had a flash storm in Australia, my R was outside on an incline. Got in to move it into the shed. You guesssed it, drivers footwell soaked :( (My drivers = your passengers side)

Did you find the root cause of your leak?

Big Toe

Big Toe

• Members
  • 2096 posts
looking good mate, a good example there and the paint looks great! what type of springs did you get?
Posted Image

schoona

schoona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
H&Rs it looks like :)

Bailey12856

Bailey12856

• Members
  • 1094 posts

Hope the install goes smoothly and you are happy.

Really nice car mate, looks immaculate!

You'll never believe this, we just had a flash storm in Australia, my R was outside on an incline. Got in to move it into the shed. You guesssed it, drivers footwell soaked :( (My drivers = your passengers side)

Did you find the root cause of your leak?

Nah still havent found the root cause. Going to check again this week as it looks like we are expecting a bit of rain, but I dont appear to be getting water in at the moment. But when im getting my springs fitted, the problem with the left hand side speakers is going to be getting looked at so I can have a closer look at the seals around the door panel, as Ive read these can sometimes perish.

looking good mate, a good example there and the paint looks great! what type of springs did you get?

Thanks for the comment and H&Rs they are like schoona said.

Bailey12856

Bailey12856

• Members
  • 1094 posts
Springs and Spacers got fitted today. Big thanks to Andy (Maxitrol) and his work mate Gary.

Ride is a lot stiffer which im liking, just cant wait for them to settle to see how low they are going to finally sit.

Anyway to my suprise I was shocked to see what shocks and springs were already fitted...

Posted Image

But heres a few photos from the day (please forgive the dirt, Andys garage is out in the sticks!)

On the ramp!
Posted Image

Front spring in
Posted Image

Sat back down
Posted Image

Two photos from on the way home
Posted Image

Posted Image

Bailey12856

Bailey12856

• Members
  • 1094 posts
Another mod thanks to Paulie.
Posted Image

And a random photo.
Posted Image

Bailey12856

Bailey12856

• Members
  • 1094 posts
Even after changing the springs, top mounts and bearings. Im still getting a creaking noise from the front right side of the car mainly when turning right and at low speeds. Been down to the garage this morning and shes going back in Wednesday, so hopefully after that all is sorted.

Other good news though, no more speaker cutting out and no more water has been found in the footwell.

Gave the car a wash yesterday, took a photo of her ass showing off the stance with 20mm spacers on the rear.
Posted Image

R32Lee

R32Lee

Loyal Member

• .:R32OC Contributor
  • 1576 posts
  • LocationNorth East
Looking well bud, i cant believe you thought the Riverside Stadium would make a good backdrop....lol
Did you see this thread with a similar problem to your creaking noise???

https://www.r32oc.com...king-noise.html
Posted Image

Bailey12856

Bailey12856

• Members
  • 1094 posts

Looking well bud, i cant believe you thought the Riverside Stadium would make a good backdrop....lol
Did you see this thread with a similar problem to your creaking noise???

https://www.r32oc.com...king-noise.html

Yeah I have been reading that.

And OI careful what you say about the Riverside stadium haha. And I actually prefer the one with the Temenos in the background, im awful taking photos though and only have my iPhone as ive lost my camera. Need to get some decent photos soon though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.