REPLACEMENT WING MIRROR CAPS MK5 - How To? - General Chat - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

REPLACEMENT WING MIRROR CAPS MK5 - How To?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

R32ASH

R32ASH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Hi,

My replacement chrome mirror caps have just been delivered, going to see how they look on my black r32 first before deciding if to use scotch brite 3M and give them the brushed look.

Anyway I have gone through previous threads to find the "how to" for removing the original mirror caps but the one thread/link I found is broken.

Anybody give me advice on how to do this.

help much appreciated.

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1833 posts
  • LocationKent
Hi here you go i never took the glass out first but if you want to i've added that at the end

Posted Image

– Remove mirror glass → Chapter.
– Insert removal wedge -3409- between mirror housing -1- and side turn signal -2-.
– Move removal wedge -3409- in -direction of arrow a- along to outer side of mirror.
– This releases latches for mirror housing -4- from locking hooks -3-.
– Pull mirror housing -1- forwards off mirror mounting at front in -direction of arrow b-.
– Remove mirror housing -1- upwards off mirror mounting in -direction of arrow c-.

Posted Image

– Protect edge of housing -1- against paint damage with e.g. fabric-reinforced adhesive tape.
– Press bottom of mirror glass -2- into mirror housing -1-.
– Using removal lever -80 - 200-, press mirror glass -2- off bracket -5- and housing -1--arrow 6-.
– Swivel mirror glass -2- to side -arrow 4- and detach connectors -3- for electric dip and mirror heating on rear of mirror glass -2-.
8 sensor OPS displayed on RNS-510 DAB, S6 DRL's With lights on dimming, MK6 RVC, Auto popping hatch, MK6 MFSW / MDI in glove box. MK6 BT unit, Retro fitted folding / puddle lighted / reverse dip mirrors, Focal 3 way front & JL rears from a Blaupunkt THA 475 Amp. Miltek resonated Exhaust / AMD Essex remap / Forge air intake /Blue Haldex /H&R front & rear ARB's / Genuine Golf R 19" Talladega wheels / Valeo Skyline LED's / MK6 Climatroic / Full LED upgrade / VW TV Installed / Recaro seats / to come soon front cornering fogs and park assist

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

>Fitting/Wiring A6 DRL's-Change brake discs/pads-Canbus Removal/Location-Optical Front/Rear Sensors-Change Multifunction Wheel-Fitting/Wiring Front & Rear Speakers<

SI-R32

SI-R32

Flaccid Member

• Members
  • 1833 posts
  • LocationKent
Hi here you go i never took the glass out first but if you want to i've added that at the end

Posted Image

– Remove mirror glass → Chapter.
– Insert removal wedge -3409- between mirror housing -1- and side turn signal -2-.
– Move removal wedge -3409- in -direction of arrow a- along to outer side of mirror.
– This releases latches for mirror housing -4- from locking hooks -3-.
– Pull mirror housing -1- forwards off mirror mounting at front in -direction of arrow b-.
– Remove mirror housing -1- upwards off mirror mounting in -direction of arrow c-.

Posted Image

– Protect edge of housing -1- against paint damage with e.g. fabric-reinforced adhesive tape.
– Press bottom of mirror glass -2- into mirror housing -1-.
– Using removal lever -80 - 200-, press mirror glass -2- off bracket -5- and housing -1--arrow 6-.
– Swivel mirror glass -2- to side -arrow 4- and detach connectors -3- for electric dip and mirror heating on rear of mirror glass -2-.
8 sensor OPS displayed on RNS-510 DAB, S6 DRL's With lights on dimming, MK6 RVC, Auto popping hatch, MK6 MFSW / MDI in glove box. MK6 BT unit, Retro fitted folding / puddle lighted / reverse dip mirrors, Focal 3 way front & JL rears from a Blaupunkt THA 475 Amp. Miltek resonated Exhaust / AMD Essex remap / Forge air intake /Blue Haldex /H&R front & rear ARB's / Genuine Golf R 19" Talladega wheels / Valeo Skyline LED's / MK6 Climatroic / Full LED upgrade / VW TV Installed / Recaro seats / to come soon front cornering fogs and park assist

CLICK ON LINK BELOW

>Fitting/Wiring A6 DRL's-Change brake discs/pads-Canbus Removal/Location-Optical Front/Rear Sensors-Change Multifunction Wheel-Fitting/Wiring Front & Rear Speakers<

R32ASH

R32ASH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
magic!

Thanks

kempy1978

kempy1978

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
pics please - also your thoughts on how good they are etc - Ive also a black MKV and have been tempted to do this too
E46 M3 2007 convertible
CSL wheels and front bumper/ splitter
Eisenmann sports exhaust
Bmc filter
Ebc red pads
Hard top and all the toys...
367bhp

Formally MkV R32

R32ASH

R32ASH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
will do. Will get onto this at weekend!!!

mudz-r32

mudz-r32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I bought a set of these before i even bought the mkv:

VW Golf 5 MK5 Alu Look Mirror Covers Caps Housings +R32 on eBay (end time 18-Mar-11 20:59:38 GMT)

They are up at £134.99 but come up on auction from time to time. I won the auction for £65 so saves me from using scoth brite 3m as they already have the brushed look.

Once you do it, can you show us a how to guide with some pics. I'm not good at DIY stuff.

R32ASH

R32ASH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Ah - I had seen those but didn't know they were up for auction now and again. Wasn't willing to spend £135 on them!!

I have high polished (not chrome) CMS C8 wheels so the chrome mirror caps might not look too out of place on the car but the front grill is certainly not as chromy as the mirrors.

I will endeavour to post pics regardless.

WEBB

WEBB

• Members
  • 1325 posts
if you find a magicman ect they can re spray your mirror covers the same colour as your grill, saves buying them and using scotch brite and messing them up i have a friend in southeast area if needed

JamboV6

JamboV6

• Members
  • 699 posts
R32ASH where did you get yours from? I ordered mine from awesome over Xmas break and still waiting for them to come in from Germany!
09 3dr Diamond black DSG~ Vienna leather~winter pack~Black headliner~Cruise~Arm rest~RNS-510~BlueFlame Res Cat Back~Lowtec Springs~K&N panel with modified air box~MK6 Climate~LED Side lights,Number Plate, interiors, mirror puddle, footwell, fog & Reverse~6000K HID Upgrade~Valeo OEM LED Rears~R-pad retainers~Auto boot pop~Audi Shark Fin~Alu mirrors~Centre cap mod with .:R caps.

R32ASH

R32ASH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Hi

Link/address below
VW Golf MK5 GTI Passat Chrome Mirror Case Cap Cover EOS on eBay (end time 05-Apr-11 21:51:28 BST)

Yea I had tried to get them from Awesome but they could not confirm when they would become available (from Germany). These ones are also ABS plastic as are the inpro ones from Awesome and they certainly look identical. Pretty fast delivery too. Haven't fitted them yet but put them beside the car last night and the mirror chrome looks a touch stark - so will prob scotch brite and see how it looks. if not i will get properly painted to match front grill.

JamboV6

JamboV6

• Members
  • 699 posts
Were they the in-pro ones too
09 3dr Diamond black DSG~ Vienna leather~winter pack~Black headliner~Cruise~Arm rest~RNS-510~BlueFlame Res Cat Back~Lowtec Springs~K&N panel with modified air box~MK6 Climate~LED Side lights,Number Plate, interiors, mirror puddle, footwell, fog & Reverse~6000K HID Upgrade~Valeo OEM LED Rears~R-pad retainers~Auto boot pop~Audi Shark Fin~Alu mirrors~Centre cap mod with .:R caps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.