A quick note to all DSG owners - General Chat - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

A quick note to all DSG owners

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Finesinglemalt

Finesinglemalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hello,

I thought I would share my experience with other DSG owners. My car is a 2007 R32 with DSG and I have always been impressed with how smooth and fuss free the gearbox was. However, I recently drove a friend's Audi TT DSG and his box was something else, uber smooth and put mine to shame. Of course, I spent a few weeks wondering if there was a problem with my car and eventually bit the bullet and took it to a mate of mine who is a bit of a mechanical guru – he is a mad professor (literally) but when it comes to mechanics, he is on the ball. The long and short of it was that he reckoned there was nothing at all wrong with the DSG, but it might benefit from a DSG re-calibration and throttle body realignment.

We plugged VCDS into my car (VCDS) and performed the throttle body alignment and then a DSG re-calibration. The throttle body alignment took about 1 minute and there was quite a difference in the before and after settings, although I'm not sure what actual impact this has. The DSG re-calibration took about 5 or 6 minutes and made some serious clunking and twanging sounds. After the computer was disconnected, we went off for a ‘defined drive’ where we drove in certain gears for a certain amount of time, did an emergency stop and then a full throttle pull off – as per the Ross Tech procedure below. We then drove for about an hour, using the paddles, D and S, driving slowly, quickly and fookin quickly.

The result was nothing short of miraculous! I thought my gearbox was smooth before this process, but now it shifts gears so quickly and smoothly it is sometimes only possible to tell when the next gear has been grabbed by looking at the rev counter. Pulling away is now extremely slick, with the clutch being fed in and slipped a little more than previously. I would highly recommend this procedure to anyone who is a little worried about their DSG not being as smooth as it should be. This link shows what you need to do for the DSG:

6-Speed Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG/02E) - Ross-Tech Wiki

and this one for the throttle bodies:

Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) - Ross-Tech Wiki

My mate reckons that it will take a few hundred miles for the process to take full effect. One Word of Warning – when you first pull off after the re-calibration, the gearbox shifts very roughly while it adapts to the new clutch plate pressures. After the defined drive it is smooth and after a good hour of varied motoring, it is positively silky.

As an aside, I have started knocking the DSG into S when I am slowing down and approaching a junction. You get a series of perfectly executed down changes with ‘throttle blips’ and it feels really responsive when you pull away and I snick back into D before the box changes in 2nd.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.
  • Ted 5 R32 likes this

Jet9

Jet9

• Members
  • 1436 posts
Very interesting.
2008 Mk V DSG, DBP

Steff

Steff

• Members
  • 4134 posts
  • LocationEast Sussex/Canada
Don't have DSG but the TBA is very interesting and something I wasn't aware of.
Thanks for sharing, something else to look at when I get the chance.

birdiemachine

birdiemachine

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 3003 posts
Manual myself but that is very interesting.

Big Toe

Big Toe

• Members
  • 2096 posts
brillant write up mate..i started thinking the exact same thing as my mate just bought a Gti DSG, and i took it a run first as he hadnt driven DSG before... i think i need this done in my motor espically the throttle body relignment as on occassion my car will increase in idle to approx 800rpm..

so all this can be done via Vagcom as easy that??
Posted Image

Finesinglemalt

Finesinglemalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

brillant write up mate..i started thinking the exact same thing as my mate just bought a Gti DSG, and i took it a run first as he hadnt driven DSG before... i think i need this done in my motor espically the throttle body relignment as on occassion my car will increase in idle to approx 800rpm..

so all this can be done via Vagcom as easy that??

Yes, dead easy and both proceudres took less than 10 mins - just follow the directions from Ross Tech on the links I provided.

VWR

VWR

• Members
  • 1138 posts
  • LocationBelfast
Very interesting indeed.

Ant, you must let us know how it goes for you to.

Big Toe

Big Toe

• Members
  • 2096 posts

Very interesting indeed.

Ant, you must let us know how it goes for you to.

i will do pal.. im getting an induction kit, just waiting for it to arrive (approx 4-5 weeks). i hope to clean the throttle bodys when installing but i will definately get this done straight after that!

Also the indicator DRL's!

Edited by big toe, 20 February 2012 - 11:48 AM.

Posted Image

DaveMoore

DaveMoore

• Members
  • 2639 posts
  • LocationWest Mids
This wouldnt effect my DSG map would it?
'56 3dr Shadow Blue R32
Viper CAI
Milltek Non-Res - GT100's
Milltek 200Cel Sports Cats
Shrick 268/264 Cams
APS Fuel System Upgrade
APS Stage2 Remap
C-C DSG Remap
18" OZ Alleggerita HLT - Toyo R888's/Vred Sessentas
ZF Sacs Adjustable Suspension
H&R Front and Rear Anti-Roll bars
EuroSport Rear Strutbrace
Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit
343mm ECS Slotted Rotors - Ferodo DS pads
EBC Yellow Stuff Rear pads
VF Engine and Transmission Mounts
Haldex Gen 2 - Switchable
Carbon Bonnet with Aero Catches
Carbon DSG Paddle Extensions

R32 sold...
6.2l V8 HSV Clubsport R8 sold...
BMW e34 540i/6 sold...

1970 BMW 2002 at my service

Big Toe

Big Toe

• Members
  • 2096 posts

This wouldnt effect my DSG map would it?

might be worth giving CC a call on that Dave, from my understanding it seems like a re-calibration..i wouldnt of thought so, but after it is complete it might need re-setting.. Ask CC if it would be a problem to reinstall if neccessary..

are you coming to the RR [MENTION=6883]awesome[/MENTION]?
Posted Image

DaveMoore

DaveMoore

• Members
  • 2639 posts
  • LocationWest Mids
Yeah I should be, im number 21 on the list because Paulie missed me out at the start of the thread lol
'56 3dr Shadow Blue R32
Viper CAI
Shrick 268/264 Cams
APS Fuel System Upgrade
APS Stage2 Remap
C-C DSG Remap
Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit

R32 sold...
BMW e34 540i/6 sold...

Big Toe

Big Toe

• Members
  • 2096 posts

Yeah I should be, im number 21 on the list because Paulie missed me out at the start of the thread lol

there will always be one that pulls out..!! haha! read it back and made me laugh!
Posted Image

nick495

nick495

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
Dave
Did you find out if it would affect the dsg map?

Nick

DaveMoore

DaveMoore

• Members
  • 2639 posts
  • LocationWest Mids

Dave
Did you find out if it would affect the dsg map?

Nick

Yes I did find out and No if wont effect the map :)

Apparently lol
'56 3dr Shadow Blue R32
Viper CAI
Shrick 268/264 Cams
APS Fuel System Upgrade
APS Stage2 Remap
C-C DSG Remap
Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit

R32 sold...
BMW e34 540i/6 sold...

Darryl

Darryl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Brilliant post, this should rule out alot of people's fears of mechatronic faults. Can this be done at a dealership?

DaveMoore

DaveMoore

• Members
  • 2639 posts
  • LocationWest Mids
It could be but if you find out who has Vagcom near to you using the clickable links thread you could save yourself £30/£40.
'56 3dr Shadow Blue R32
Viper CAI
Shrick 268/264 Cams
APS Fuel System Upgrade
APS Stage2 Remap
C-C DSG Remap
Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit

R32 sold...
BMW e34 540i/6 sold...

martin1977

martin1977

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationAberdeen
I had the DSG basic settings re-programmed today via VW in Aberdeen, although early days, it’s made a noticeable difference and improvement on the performance of the DSG box.
Although my car never had any issues with unwanted noises / gear selection etc.. I always felt that downshifting via paddle on part throttle: 4th – 3rd or 3rd -2nd gears, there was a delay of gear engagement by about 1second... (too much for my liking....)
As the car has 99% of the time only ever been driven in “D” only, I doubt if the cars previous owner would have even noticed this.
Now the downshift is snap instant with a noticeable blip of throttle. MUCH improved and fro £50, can’t argue too much.
The threads above state this should take a week or so of driving to tune itself to my driving characteristics.. I’ll report back then with an update.
Martin

Benji26

Benji26

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1563 posts
Great post, very interesting read and I will be getting this done next month when the car is in getting some work done to it.

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk 2

MkV DBP 3 door. DSG, Recaros, RNS510, iPod, Lux pack, Winter Pack, Parking sensors, sunroof, 19' BBS CH rims, pretty much every option you could add- gone :(((((

1995 Corrado VR6 Shadow blue- gone but not forgotten.

MkVI Golf GT TDI. Black, cream Alcantara. Gone.

martin1977

martin1977

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationAberdeen
Do it Benzo, has made a noticeable difference, adds to the driving pleasure as opposed to being a performance modification. Let us know how you get on!

Benji26

Benji26

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1563 posts
Yip I will do, was thinking the gear changes weren't as smooth sometimes as they could be.

MkV DBP 3 door. DSG, Recaros, RNS510, iPod, Lux pack, Winter Pack, Parking sensors, sunroof, 19' BBS CH rims, pretty much every option you could add- gone :(((((

N111K JS

N111K JS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Very interesting, great write up.

Anyone got Vag-Com in or around Inverness or even better I'm heading down to Wales on Sunday night/Monday morning if anyone is free?
Cheers

discostu49

discostu49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Locationperth scotland
So do I disconnect the battery and reconnect to do a tba?
Lava Grey Audi A3 3.2 V6 ( same engine and platform as the r32 mk5 ) Quattro, Sportback, Full Leather, S LINE, Factory tints, DSG, SAT NAV, BOSE Sounds, Upgraded rs4 18's, now with magnaflow race exhaust, Now with rs3 diffuser and eibach pro kit springs

maxcook

maxcook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
How important do you think it is for the ‘defined drive’ to be 100% accurate? ie having to stop at lights/roundabout etc unavoidably? Maybe doing this in the afternoon today

jake

jake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Is there anyone with a vac com round Manchester that can do mine

cokecan

cokecan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNottingham
I've just done this to my 07 plate R32 and the DSG is much smoother/quicker now! Well recommended to everyone with a DSG, if you do it yourself don't worry about the alarming clunking sounds that comes from the DSG while running VCDS or similar lol

Not sure if the throttle body alignment made any difference or not but figured I'd do it as well :)
Posted Image

L_O_Z

L_O_Z

Hard to reMember

• Members
  • 4500 posts
I've just seen this topic for the first time and am confused lol

What's the difference between a DSG re-calibration, throttle body alignment and this DSG upgrade software that some companies offer?

Why shouldn't you worry about alarming clunking noises?

I've always wanted the DSG to blip on down shifts no matter what the gear/rev is. Maybe 20% or less of the time you get that cool blip noise and the rest of the time is that dreary slow downshift noise you get like in a manual 1.1 Peugeot 206
MKV Golf R32 - 58 plate (Dec 2008) - 15,700 miles - DSG - DPB - Vienna Leather Seats - Luxury Pack - Winter Pack - Parking Pack - RNS510 SatNav/DVD - VW Bluetooth - 10 Speaker Upgrade - Electric Glass Sunroof - Cruise Control - Front Centre Armrest - Electric Lumbar Support - Highline Computer - Multi Function Steering Wheel - Rear Airbags - Foot well & puddle lights - VW warranty - Service/MOT pack

cokecan

cokecan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNottingham
I'm not 100% sure what actually happens during the calibration but I believe it re-adjusts based on clutch wear and other tolerances so gear changes are quicker and smoother than they were. Obviously this probably wont have any effect on a newer car but for older cars with DSG it feels like it breathes new life into it!

You probably won't notice if your DSG isn't quite as quick or as smooth as it should be as you are used to the way it works and I suspect it would be such a gradual change you again wouldn't notice it. As the OP mentioned, it became very apparent after trying his friends TT that the DSG in his R32 wasn't like the TT.

The clunking noises only happen during the calibration, presumably as it re-adjusts various things. It sounds like there's something wrong but can assure you there isnt :) lol All I can say is my DSG feels very smooth now and noticeably quicker than before.

I don't know much about the DGS software upgrade but at a guess it will be tuned to change up and down at different revs compared to the stock one to try and take a bit more advantage of the power band of the engine? I think I've seen one that actually holds the revs at 4k when doing a launch instead of the standard 3k.

The DSG will blip down if your in S or change down manually with the paddles
Posted Image

L_O_Z

L_O_Z

Hard to reMember

• Members
  • 4500 posts
So if you do the DSG recalibration and throttle alignment the DSG will always blip when downshifting in manual mode?

When I enquired about the DSG software upgrade they listed everything it would do but were careful not to guarantee a blip on every downshift in Paddle Mode (which is why I didn't go for the DSG upgrade)

Are there any long term effects or downsides to doing the DSG recalibration and throttle alignment?

I've never been interested in more power or smoother up changes but I've always wanted that downshift blip in every gear at any rev!
MKV Golf R32 - 58 plate (Dec 2008) - 15,700 miles - DSG - DPB - Vienna Leather Seats - Luxury Pack - Winter Pack - Parking Pack - RNS510 SatNav/DVD - VW Bluetooth - 10 Speaker Upgrade - Electric Glass Sunroof - Cruise Control - Front Centre Armrest - Electric Lumbar Support - Highline Computer - Multi Function Steering Wheel - Rear Airbags - Foot well & puddle lights - VW warranty - Service/MOT pack

cokecan

cokecan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNottingham
I'm not saying the calibration will guarantee a blip on the downshift, I was just saying that mine always seemed to do it even before the calibration? though thinking about it, I always change down while the revs are reasonably high so the DSG always has to match the revs in the next gear, hence it blips

I can't imagine there will be any downsides to doing this? as far as I can see it's just like adjusting your handbrake or clutch cable in that after it gets a bit loose you tighten it up.
Posted Image

Benji26

Benji26

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1563 posts

Are there any long term effects or downsides to doing the DSG recalibration and throttle alignment?

No downsides at all it is a beneficial task to be carried out and as has been stated by our friend with one eye it makes everything work a lot better and smoother. It is worth doing if the R is getting on a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.