Grinding noise while coasting. Gearbox or wheel bearings? - General Chat - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Grinding noise while coasting. Gearbox or wheel bearings?

Vehicle grinding squeaking mkv

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Ved

Ved

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Tonight my MKV Golf R32 started making a very nasty noise and before it goes into VW for an inspection I'd like to know what you think.

Car:

FVWSH
No recent knocks and only just serviced.
Driven generally only on long distance
No fast and furious gear changes etc

Problem:

Inside the car when coasting below 40mph there is a hollow grinding noise. It's metallic but still quite a low frequency noise. I suspect it's always there but just masked by higher speeds.

The noise is related to the speed of the wheels and I can only hear it from the drivers side.

If I use the throttle, regardless of RPM, then the noise goes away.

Outside the car I can hear a squeaking noise which matches the frequency of the grinding noise. Imagine getting an irate and indestructible mouse caught in your tyre tread. This noise again goes under load.

If I coast around a roundabout the squeaking noise on the drivers wheel quietens down. I can't tell too well if this changes the noise inside the cabin but I 'think' it did.

Thoughts?

David

Steff

Steff

• Members
  • 4134 posts
  • LocationEast Sussex/Canada
Has the car been sat this week? Sounds like brakes to me.

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19271 posts
Check there is not a stone stuck between the brake disc and the backing plate.
VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

Ved

Ved

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Check there is not a stone stuck between the brake disc and the backing plate.

I did wonder about this too but it doesn't explain why it goes away under load. Very odd. Sadly I'm off to the US for a week so it'll need to go into VW. The missus is going to drop it in on Monday.

Ved

Ved

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Has the car been sat this week? Sounds like brakes to me.

Nope used regularly

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19271 posts
I had a stone stuck once and I could only hear it off power or going backwards. Like you I had a lot of expensive stuff going through my mind.

VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

Ved

Ved

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

I had a stone stuck once and I could only hear it off power or going backwards. Like you I had a lot of expensive stuff going through my mind.

A stone would make more sense as this has come out of nowhere and appeared after a 20 minutes drive by my missus this afternoon so it's not like it's been slowly building. Fingers crossed x1,000,000

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19271 posts
Now you have said that, I'm even more confident that a stone is the culprit.

Good luck and a safe trip

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vehicle, grinding, squeaking, mkv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.