Mk4 R32 2004 Rear Diff issues - General Chat - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Mk4 R32 2004 Rear Diff issues

Vehicle Mk4 Haldex Rear Diff

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

R32Munchies

R32Munchies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBath, England
Hey guys, I'm new to owning an R32 and have been looking around the web for any help to do with this.
On full lock or close to full lock I get a slight grinding noise coming from the rear diff, I took it to VW Bath and they that the car isn't coming out of 4WD and that to fix it I need a new "final drive" part which is just over £2500 + £1000 labour. I work for the ambulance service so clearly do not have that much money to spend after buying this car :/

Was hoping someone would be able to give any advice as to what I could do, also am trying to have a look at it myself with a friend who is a mechanic and we don't have the multispline tools to get at it. Any chance anyone close would be kind enough to let us borrow them for a couple days?

Thanks in advance guys :)
Posted Image

Toffs

Toffs

.:R32OC Parking Attendant

• .:R32OC Contributor
  • 4023 posts
Hello,

I'm not a million miles away from ya, but I'm not quite sure what 'multi splined' tools you mean? What exactly are you trying to undo.

Driving a R at 19 is unusual, fair play :)

Toffs
  • R32Munchies likes this
 0-60: 3.7sec                                            BHP: 450-500                        Torque: 700+ Nm                              Fun: Incalculable
gallery_2294_1980_2835.jpg gallery_2294_1980_8853.png gallery_2294_1980_12960.jpg gallery_2294_1980_20971.jpg

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 7276 posts
  • LocationCullompton Devon
Scan the diff with VCDS to get any error codes. Another trick is to drain a small bit of oil out of the rear diff and put a magnet in the oil. If there is metal particles in the oil your diff is screwed. I have spare second hand rear diff,haldex units and pre charge pumps if you end up needing to replace anything.
  • R32Munchies likes this

820 bhp turbo Mk4 Golf R32. Still wanting more power . 
MK4/5 Tubular manifolds,down pipes, de-cats,sport cats plus full exhaust system always for sale please PM me for details.

R32Munchies

R32Munchies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBath, England

Scan the diff with VCDS to get any error codes. Another trick is to drain a small bit of oil out of the rear diff and put a magnet in the oil. If there is metal particles in the oil your diff is screwed. I have spare second hand rear diff,haldex units and pre charge pumps if you end up needing to replace anything.

Have already had a diagnostic check from 2 different garages and they both say there is no electronic faults whatsoever :/ But i will keep you in mind if I do need to get a second hand part :)

Hello,

I'm not a million miles away from ya, but I'm not quite sure what 'multi splined' tools you mean? What exactly are you trying to undo.

Driving a R at 19 is unusual, fair play :)

Toffs

But yes I know what you mean Toffs, Found a really good insurance deal with Admiral and it was £590 to insure myself on a 1.6 or £600 to insure an R32 so I thought why not :)

My friend has just told me as far as he is aware he will need a "multispline torx screw" for getting the drive shafts off the rear diff and another multispline torx for the rear diff which is slightly bigger. At the minute we aren't 100% what we need so he is going to pop up to the unit tomorrow and have a closer look and take pictures if that helps.
Posted Image

V6TOMMYGUN

V6TOMMYGUN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
When it starts to make the grinding noise lift the handbrake up one click that should disengage the haldex. The noise should go If the diff is still binding then it's not electrical ( pre charge pump or controller)

Posted Image

R32Munchies

R32Munchies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBath, England

When it starts to make the grinding noise lift the handbrake up one click that should disengage the haldex. The noise should go If the diff is still binding then it's not electrical ( pre charge pump or controller)

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure that will help in the future, at the minute as far as I am aware both garages have said there are no electrical faults. They said it was the haldex coupling joint or the rear diff :/
Posted Image

Joesmif

Joesmif

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I have a full set of those spline tools( including the special tamper proof one) if you want to borrow them?
Only thing is I'm south London and I presume your north? Or bath area?

R32Munchies

R32Munchies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBath, England

I have a full set of those spline tools( including the special tamper proof one) if you want to borrow them?
Only thing is I'm south London and I presume your north? Or bath area?

Hey, Thanks for the offer :) I have just bought these, Not 100% if it contains what I need but for £50 I cannot complain. Yeah I do actually live in bath, it's about 2-3hrs west of you depending on traffic. The tamperproof one? Any chance you could link it somehow? Might be a good idea for me to buy one aswell if it isn't included in this set.

Munchies
Posted Image

Joesmif

Joesmif

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
You'll have everything you need and more in that set
From memory there isn't any tamper proof ones on the diff side of things
It's just got a hole down the middle of one of the sockets to accommodate a lug on some bolts think its 27 dunno what the official measurement used for the multi splines are but you could have it there anyway

If you need any help let me know its an excuse to drive :) she's been off the road since Christmas :(

R32Munchies

R32Munchies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBath, England

You'll have everything you need and more in that set
From memory there isn't any tamper proof ones on the diff side of things
It's just got a hole down the middle of one of the sockets to accommodate a lug on some bolts think its 27 dunno what the official measurement used for the multi splines are but you could have it there anyway

If you need any help let me know its an excuse to drive :) she's been off the road since Christmas :(

Your a good man Joe! thank you :) Yeah the plan is to just take as much possible off the car, give everything a good clean and once over, then put it all back together, have a look at the haldex system as it still confuses me :( and see what happens. If it is still making the noise just gonna look at getting a second hand part. But on a more worrying note.... Why so long not driving it?
Posted Image

Joesmif

Joesmif

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Haha it can be confusing!
I'm more than happy to help anyone! (could be my downfall one day)
Well I had a small incident in a carpark involving some dippy bird meeting the offside or my rear bumper and ripping a hole in it and damaging the crash bar underneath so told insurance and she never claimed and had disappeared and doesn't exist! So my premium went sky high and I couldn't afford the renewal so I'm biting the bullet next week and paying monthly :/
Wow small essay there sorry about that!!

R32Munchies

R32Munchies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBath, England
Ouch, I feel for you! Long story but worth telling!! Yeah it confuses the hell out of me, Have been looking in to it and as far as I can tell it is the most over-complicated simplistic design out there haha.

Well thank you very much for the offer of help, I'm sure if it came to that I can return the favor somehow, I'm going to put some pictures up tonight to further explain the exact bits we need the tools for because I'm finding it difficult to say. Have you ever had any trouble with your R like this?
Posted Image

R32Munchies

R32Munchies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBath, England

Haha it can be confusing!
I'm more than happy to help anyone! (could be my downfall one day)
Well I had a small incident in a carpark involving some dippy bird meeting the offside or my rear bumper and ripping a hole in it and damaging the crash bar underneath so told insurance and she never claimed and had disappeared and doesn't exist! So my premium went sky high and I couldn't afford the renewal so I'm biting the bullet next week and paying monthly :/
Wow small essay there sorry about that!!

Have you had a look at admiral multicar insurance? took my insurance down by almost £500
Posted Image

Joesmif

Joesmif

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Never had that before on my R but I've seen customers cars with similar problems have you tried getting the diff and haldex unit nice and hot to see if the problem is still there?

Joesmif

Joesmif

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Yeah I thought about that but my parents
Cars aren't anywhere near renewal time and I would have
To pay the cancellation fees and what not :(
Cheapest I have it to now is around £1200

R32Munchies

R32Munchies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBath, England
Ah unlucky, I think you can do a conditional one though, You can set up the multicar policy on the condition that their cars are added at a later date, discount starts straight away.

Yeah i thought it might be something to do with the oil, only had the car a month now, to begin with it wouldn't do it when it was cold but towards the end of the journey i could hear it so thought it was being affected by the oil temp. Now it just does it randomly, hot or cold :/ So now im just thinking something has gone at it is just getting worse by the day.
Posted Image

Joesmif

Joesmif

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Aww man! Well you could try changing the olis in both and the filter on the haldex? Cheap and a place to start just make sure you get them hot before changing the fluids
And some heavy handed pulling away from lights and junctions to get any last extra crap off of the plates

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 7276 posts
If it is making a grinding noise all you can do is change the oil and hope it helps, if that doesn`t work get a replacement diff. Swap over the pre charge pump and haldex controller and fit the replacement diff, flush then fill with new oil and drive away. Removing the rear diff isn`t a 5 minute job. You got the prop, two rear drive shafts,diff cradle and other bits to remove then refit so your be most the day just removing and fitting the diff then doing the wheel re alignment If you remove the diff there is nothing to clean etc unless you intend stripping the diff and haldex system apart which your mad if you start messing about doing that.

MK4/5 Tubular manifolds,down pipes, de-cats,sport cats plus full exhaust system always for sale please PM me for details.

R32Munchies

R32Munchies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBath, England
Thanks Lucifer! you have just saved us a days work :D Think we are just gonna give it a good service and and small clean, will look at the drive shafts anyway to see if the joints are worn. But apart from that we are just gonna leave it alone and if the problem is still present i'm gonna be asking you for a quote on how much it would cost for a replacement diff, haldex controller and pre charge pump :) Is that all we would need?
Posted Image

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 7276 posts
The grinding noise would have nothing to do with the haldex controller or pre charge pump. You can check that both are working via vagcom. Both the pre charge pump and haldex controller are held in with just two hex bolts so 1 minute job swapping them over to be honest. Like you said check the rear drive shafts and hubs though as it could be them.

R32Munchies

R32Munchies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBath, England
Just an update -
After servicing the car only 50-100ml of oil was in the haldex system and we found out it had never been serviced in the 69k miles it has driven. Haven't had a chance to test it yet but hopefully this was the problem and I hope it is fixed :)
Posted Image

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 7276 posts
The rear diff shouldn`t loose oil no matter if it has been serviced or not. Like you say drive it and see you might be lucky but check for leaks.

R32Munchies

R32Munchies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBath, England
checked for leaks. all seems good :) Drove well today, no sign of the problem any more,
Posted Image

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 7276 posts
Good to hear .

Fat Head

Fat Head

• Members
  • 4420 posts
  • LocationLeeds

Good to hear .

shame i cant say the same about my car, i have exactly the same problem, i serviced the haldex which looked like it had never been done to be honest, and it looked as if there were small metal bits in the haldex oil, i still have it in a bucket so ill put a magnet over it to see if it is metal, the problem has definitely minimised after the haldex service but its still there slightly, if you still have a diff for sale lucifer id be interested, can you pm me with a price please :)
VW Golf Mk6 .:R, Rising Blue, Cruise Control, RNS510, 20" Vossen
Accuair E-Level air ride, twin compressors, 5 Gallon tank

Remote Key fob for e level, stealth boot build, Wide arches
BCS Powervalve Turbo back exhaust, Revo Intake, HPFP, Stage 2+ 362bhp

R32 Build Thread
Golf R Build Thread

Mike

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vehicle, Mk4, Haldex, Rear Diff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.