Mk4 R32 Rear Diff - Performance and Technical - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Mk4 R32 Rear Diff

VW Golf R32 Rear Diff haldex

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Fat Head

Fat Head

• Members
  • 4420 posts
  • LocationLeeds
I developed a vibrating noise in my car when on full lock at slow speeds, and it was pretty violent

After a bit of research the following solutions cropped up on forums

1, change haldex oil and filter

2, change oil in the diff and reseal

3, rear caliper seizing

4, top mounts gone

5, new diff

So far i am trying to make my way through the list starting with the easiest

Today i serviced my haldex by changing the oil and filter and it seemed to improve it slightly
It is not as violent anymore and the car is a lot more drivable than before (i havent driven it since i discovered it)

When i drained the haldex oil there were what can only be described as small metal fragments in it, like really tiny, but i just put the new oil in to see how it went

Does this mean my diff is [email protected] or is it worth flushing the oil out again

Also the car has just been MOT'd and they said the front diff was leaking slightly and the front top mount was knackered

I will fix the issues above, but could this be the causes of the vibrations? or is a new diff the only way forward?

if so, does anyone have a diff for sale? or know of anyone with one?
VW Golf Mk6 .:R, Rising Blue, Cruise Control, RNS510, 20" Vossen
Accuair E-Level air ride, twin compressors, 5 Gallon tank

Remote Key fob for e level, stealth boot build, Wide arches
BCS Powervalve Turbo back exhaust, Revo Intake, HPFP, Stage 2+ 362bhp

R32 Build Thread
Golf R Build Thread

Mike

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 7276 posts
  • LocationCullompton Devon
PM`d you a price for rear diff.

820 bhp turbo Mk4 Golf R32. Still wanting more power . 
MK4/5 Tubular manifolds,down pipes, de-cats,sport cats plus full exhaust system always for sale please PM me for details.

Andy G

Andy G

.:R32OC Site Contributor

• .:R32OC Contributor
  • 4440 posts
  • Locationsouth staffordshire
Out of interest when or how oftern has the haldex been serviced ?
Yr findings in the oil are grim findings :(

Fat Head

Fat Head

• Members
  • 4420 posts
  • LocationLeeds
thats what worried me, the car was in a poor state when i bought her, broke down on the first day, then got towed away on an aa pickup, didnt see her for another week :( ive put blood sweat and tears into her and the last owners just didnt care, id hate to say it but i dont think its ever had a haldex service! until now, the engine oil was like glue when i serviced it after i got it back from breaking down, i changed the pollen filter, air filter, oil filter, oil, track rod ends blah blah blah

its been emotional but im not giving up on her, i will keep her on the road no matter what!

and the haldex change seems to have cured it for now anyway, no more vibrations so ill see how it goes, ill keep you updated lucifer if i need that diff

R32 Build Thread
Golf R Build Thread

Mike

Sabaselfsit

Sabaselfsit

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway
Did you change the haldex filter also? If not do that. If the haldex oil was that ugly I would buy 2 more oil catridges as you don't get out all on a normal change. Run the car warm...drain the oil again, can also be worth taking the pre-charge pump out and clean the filter on the end of it and put the pump back in -fill until oil drips out the inspection hole at top (use the second catridge if the first isn't enough)

Fat Head

Fat Head

• Members
  • 4420 posts
  • LocationLeeds
yeah i did change the filter as well, im going to change both oil and filter every 20k, if not less, i got them for £40 so no biggie to keep her on the road, and yeah i was thinking that, if there was shit in the oil then a drain wont get rid of it all, so i will do it again in the near future

and yeah ill clean the filter on the pre charge too, thanks for the help

R32 Build Thread
Golf R Build Thread

Mike

Sabaselfsit

Sabaselfsit

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

yeah i did change the filter as well, im going to change both oil and filter every 20k, if not less, i got them for £40 so no biggie to keep her on the road, and yeah i was thinking that, if there was shit in the oil then a drain wont get rid of it all, so i will do it again in the near future

and yeah ill clean the filter on the pre charge too, thanks for the help

What happens when the oil doesn't get changed is that it becomes thick and dirty not doing it's job making the clutch plates stick together. If it is better now you should be all right with one more change and making sure the pump filter is clean. I've heard people having the clutch plates seized up; they needed new diff; so seems like the car was lucky to get a new owner now. :)

Fat Head

Fat Head

• Members
  • 4420 posts
  • LocationLeeds

What happens when the oil doesn't get changed is that it becomes thick and dirty not doing it's job making the clutch plates stick together. If it is better now you should be all right with one more change and making sure the pump filter is clean. I've heard people having the clutch plates seized up; they needed new diff; so seems like the car was lucky to get a new owner now. :)

[Start the violins] Im proud to give her a new lease of life, i could have bought one that was perfect and had all mods done, but wheres the fun in that, money is boring unless you spend it on something you love, plus every time i work on her im learning, i never take her to garages or whatever, i do it myself and become somewhat attached [End the violins]
  • Sabaselfsit likes this

R32 Build Thread
Golf R Build Thread

Mike

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 7276 posts
I knew i liked you FAT HEAD , i like a man who is happy to spend money on car parts :yahoo:

MK4/5 Tubular manifolds,down pipes, de-cats,sport cats plus full exhaust system always for sale please PM me for details.

Fat Head

Fat Head

• Members
  • 4420 posts
  • LocationLeeds

I knew i liked you FAT HEAD , i like a man who is happy to spend money on car parts :yahoo:

haha, this is an expensive week for me, I'm going on friday to look at air ride suspension, not sure if i should take the plunge or not

performance > looking sexy
performance < looking sexy

I dont know whats more important, i wanted to go slightly lower but it scrapes as it is, hence the ability to go up over speed bumps with the air, but i don't know if it will impact handling too much

R32 Build Thread
Golf R Build Thread

Mike

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 7276 posts
If it scrapes as it is get a sump guard or your sump re-enforced before you need a new engine as well.

Fat Head

Fat Head

• Members
  • 4420 posts
  • LocationLeeds

If it scrapes as it is get a sump guard or your sump re-enforced before you need a new engine as well.

i have seen those sump guards, but what kept putting me off was the fact that if there is a guard on it, it will make it even lower so will scrape more

ive only gone through one sump on this car so far, and that was at work pulling out of a telephone exchange, there was a pot hole just before a stone that was there to stop the gates swinging open, a mixture of them both dropped me and cracked my sump

do you think air ride is a bit stupid? ive found it for £1400 2nd hand as apposed to £2099

R32 Build Thread
Golf R Build Thread

Mike

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 7276 posts
Is that the one on ebay ?

Fat Head

Fat Head

• Members
  • 4420 posts
  • LocationLeeds

Is that the one on ebay ?

maaaaybe :crazy:

R32 Build Thread
Golf R Build Thread

Mike

Lucifer

Lucifer

Eats Kitty Litter

• Members
  • 7276 posts
Silver on here had air ride best ask him but it is a lot of extra weight. You must be really low if your already scrapping the road.

Fat Head

Fat Head

• Members
  • 4420 posts
  • LocationLeeds

Silver on here had air ride best ask him but it is a lot of extra weight. You must be really low if your already scrapping the road.

ill give him a shout, and im no lower than anyone else to be honest, i just live in an area full of speed bumps, i often take a 5 mile detour to avoid them, sometimes i can't and it makes me feel horrible

R32 Build Thread
Golf R Build Thread

Mike

PaulW

PaulW

Cannot reMember

• Administrators
  • 16141 posts
  • LocationThurso
If your going to buy Air ride buy it new, theres no warranty or back up with 2nd hand kits also fitting will cost a fortune for fitting someone elses kit. Bearing in mind they have solid top mounts the ride wont be THAT great

:)

Fat Head

Fat Head

• Members
  • 4420 posts
  • LocationLeeds
well the guy who has it says it can be fitted without a garage, but it just takes ages, i have loads of tools for the job so i dont see why i couldnt give it a go myself, and im not buying anything until i have a go in one to check out the ride quality, and if it all works as it should, plus the guy doesnt seem to be replying to my texts so hes probably waiting for another offer...

on the other hand if i did buy new i have a mate who is a distributor for air lift or something and they can get the auto pilot v2 for £1,950 which is a couple of quid off to be honest id prefer a rotrex supercharger but thats a bit out of my price range at the moment, maybe ill just hang fire for a bit (i feel like such a tyre kicker)

R32 Build Thread
Golf R Build Thread

Mike

Zig

Zig

Semi-Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4197 posts
  • LocationWest Mids

[Start the violins] Im proud to give her a new lease of life, i could have bought one that was perfect and had all mods done, but wheres the fun in that, money is boring unless you spend it on something you love, plus every time i work on her im learning, i never take her to garages or whatever, i do it myself and become somewhat attached [End the violins]

You da man!! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VW, Golf, R32, Rear, Diff, haldex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.