Should it stay or should it go? - General Chat - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Should it stay or should it go?

mk4 mkiv

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

chromey

chromey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire
So I've had my MK4 DBP R32 for almost a year now and I love the car, it's the best car I've owned so far. But the mileage is now 92,000 and I was thinking should I sell it before mileage gets too high i.e. over 100K? I only cover about 6000 miles a year, but she is a bit thirsty and most of the time she's just a daily driver for work so I hardly use her to her potential anyway. Also, I don't fancy getting any problems with it now mileage is high like major mechanical faults. What are peoples' thoughts? Thanks in advance :)
  • raiden likes this

Oliver73

Oliver73

• Members
  • 2803 posts
  • LocationKent
100k isnt high mileage, maybe 200k ;)
Gradually made a low-spec into a Highline!

Recaros: Retro-Fitted
Cruise Control: Retro-Fitted
Highline Clocks: Retro-Fitted
RNS510: Retro-Fitted
MFSW: Retro-Fitted Ed30!

Performance Bits: Non-res Milltek, Forge CAI (with blue hoses!!!) Mtec Brakes, H&R Lowering Springs
Shiny Bits: Geniune 19" VMR 710s, US-spec grille, Gloss black rear valence

Feel free to ask me for info!

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19292 posts
People in this country get too hung up over mileage and in particular the psychological hurdle of the 100k barrier. You could buy a much newer car with a much lower mileage and still get major issues with it.

Mileage is only a number on a well maintained looked after car.

Keep it, better the devil you know:-)
  • S700UBO likes this
VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

chromey

chromey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire
I would like to keep the car, and when you put it that way, I suppose just keeping it maintained will keep it going :)

Jet9

Jet9

• Members
  • 1436 posts
The money you would spend to change will probably maintain your car for the next number of years - if you like it keep it - mileage should not be an issue.
2008 Mk V DSG, DBP

chromey

chromey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire
hmmmm yeah, cos I was browsing other cars earlier to see what I'd swap to, but there's no other car out there that looks as good, handles as good, sounds as good, or is as fast for the money I paid for it/money I would pay for next car (up to 8 or 9K)

fishyjack

fishyjack

Shiver Me Timbers

• Members
  • 990 posts

hmmmm yeah, cos I was browsing other cars earlier to see what I'd swap to, but there's no other car out there that looks as good, handles as good, sounds as good, or is as fast for the money I paid for it/money I would pay for next car (up to 8 or 9K)

think you've just answered your own question.keep it :-)
  • chromey likes this

L_O_Z

L_O_Z

Hard to reMember

• Members
  • 4500 posts

People in this country get too hung up over mileage and in particular the psychological hurdle of the 100k barrier. You could buy a much newer car with a much lower mileage and still get major issues with it.

I've been looking at E46 M3's and most are over 100k miles which does worry me :/
MKV Golf R32 - 58 plate (Dec 2008) - 15,700 miles - DSG - DPB - Vienna Leather Seats - Luxury Pack - Winter Pack - Parking Pack - RNS510 SatNav/DVD - VW Bluetooth - 10 Speaker Upgrade - Electric Glass Sunroof - Cruise Control - Front Centre Armrest - Electric Lumbar Support - Highline Computer - Multi Function Steering Wheel - Rear Airbags - Foot well & puddle lights - VW warranty - Service/MOT pack

chromey

chromey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire
yeah I was looking at them, don't look as good as a mk4 r tho!!

MIQ

MIQ

King In The North

• Moderators
  • 13964 posts
  • LocationUK

Agreed

If it was a 1.1 little 1980 fiesta then yes 100k is alot,

Nowadays 100k if nothing, with how much commuting we do.

I am guessing you are old enough to remember when 100k was alot on a car, don't worry if you look after it (regular service) then it will look after you

I personally buy cars with low mileage and run them up high myself, as I know the history of the car.

Just keep and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

Fifth Gear .:R32 Review - Click Link

https://www.youtube....h?v=E0rrr1Emvjs

I can be rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me.

r32maco

r32maco

• Members
  • 927 posts
Keep it and don't think of selling it again you silly man :)
  • MIQ likes this
.:R32 mk4, Shiney & Slammed

chromey

chromey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire
I'm only just old enough to remember that, I've just turned 22 :) ahhhhhhh I dunno, gonna sleep on it, I need 2 new tyres up front now and if I'm keeping it I'm gonna get Michelin PS3's probably but if I was gonna sell it I don't wanna spend so much money on rubber lol :/

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19292 posts
Another thing to consider is, will it sell for the price you want.

I'll be honest, seen plenty of good examples for sale at reasonable prices and they've not exactly been flying off the shelfs.

Although the R32 is adored on this forum, they are not as well appreciated in the wider world and sadly that is a fact.
  • chromey likes this
VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

S700UBO

S700UBO

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • LocationInverness
100k is a drop in the ocean now and as cuprabob and everyone else as long as its maintained well and looked after it will do you proud. My Mk5 is an 06 plate with over 115k on the clock and i only bought it due to me knowing the owner and its history

We have seen cars in at work with mechanical defects at less than 1000 miles on the clock so do the right thing..... Keep it!
  • chromey likes this
1990 MK2 Golf GTI Big Bumper 8Valve
2001 MK4 V6 4Motion
Rob Austin Racing Owners Club Member Posted Image

PaulW

PaulW

Cannot reMember

• Administrators
  • 16141 posts
  • LocationThurso
If anythings going to go wrong it would of by now. That's my mentality :D 
  • chromey likes this

:)

chromey

chromey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire
Think I will keep it then, just ordered a couple new tyres for the front...Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's :D

VWR

VWR

• Members
  • 1138 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Think I will keep it then, just ordered a couple new tyres for the front...Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's :D

You made the right choice.

Looking at tyres myself, as I will need some in the next few months, and think the Goodyear's seem to be the stand out performer.
MKV R32: DBP - DSG - 5 Door

chromey

chromey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Locationcambridgeshire
That's what everyone has recommended :) the Goodyear's are on offer on camskill.co.uk for £99.95 as well! Considering kwikfit quoted me £290 per tyre I'd say that's a bargain haha!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mk4, mkiv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.