Project Goosie: MK5 R32 - Members Rides - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
- - - - -

Project Goosie: MK5 R32

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Goosie

Goosie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth East
Hi,

I've been on the forum a little while so I thought I'd start a project thread now that I've actually done some things to the car.

A little bit of history. My previous car was a "full fat" Clio 197 + Cup Pack. A hugely fun car to drive and pretty much flawless during my 4 years of ownership.

Posted Image

I was pretty gutted on the day I sold it. But alas, it was time to move on! I kept the Recaro Sportster CS seats that I had fitted to the Clio so a part of it kinda lives on...more on that in the future.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Anyway, I wanted a car that was (a little bit) more mature whilst not entirely losing the fun factor that the Clio had. I looked at many cars and I kept coming back to the MK5 R32. So after a few months searching, I found my car and drove 300 miles to pick it up.

Posted Image

It's an early 55 plate car which came with leather, MFD2 and highline display. Not massive in terms of spec list but I was happy enough as the majority of other options can be retrofitted.

300 miles later and I'm home and I managed 34mpg, which shocked me a bit! The Clio couldn't manage much better. For daily driving, I get about 22mpg.

I loved how the car drove but I'm not sure if it was just the impact of driving a different car or not so I decided to get to know the car a bit better before modifying things. One thing I didn't like was the long throw of the gear shifter so I immediately ordered a Neuspeed shortshift the next day.

I didn't take any pics of it but it was pretty simple to fit and made a MASSIVE difference. I highly recommend this mod, it definitely makes the car more fun to drive.

The previous owner fitted a Resonated Milltek system on it which I didn't really like to be honest. So after a couple months of faffing about looking for a standard system, off it came and the car was booked in to AAS at Newcastle for a custom cat-back system...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIq4s8V3H0M

It's a resonated system with 3inch outward roll tips. Sorted!

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Minor upgrade in breathing...

Posted Image

Next came this thing...

Posted Image

and this thing...

Posted Image

Nothing hugely exciting but I like mods like this :P The dash tray now has a anti-slip mat in it as the one I bought didn't come with the OEM piece. Now I have somewhere to put my wallet!

A few months later and it was time to sort the stance out with the help of these goodies...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Giving....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I originally bought 12mm spacers all round but it turns out 12mm is too much for the front so 8mm ones were used instead. Front has around 4 threads remaining and the rear has around 6.

UPDATE! 18/04/2014

Not too much to report. A day before my wheels were due in for a refurb, I picked up a 6inch nail in one of the rear tyres which incidentally was right on its wear limit. I planned on replacing all four tyres at some point as the previous owner had a mixture of Bridgestone and budgets on so it turned out to be pretty good timing. A new set of Michelin PS3 ordered. Fronts to be fitted next week!

My wheels were looking a little tired due to a combination of laziness and laziness (I hate cleaning wheels...). I opted for something different and spent ages looking for the right shade of paint. After much to-ing and fro-ing and various photoshops I'm very happy with how they turned out. Cheers to Chris @ Wefixalloys for his hard work!

Next comes new rear pads and the dreaded insurance renewal.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's all for now! Future mods are:

Fit Recaro CS
Brembo Calipers
Refurb
New tyres
Upgrade lighting
Full detail

Cheers,

Nick
STEEL GREY R32 MK5 // AAS EXHAUST // KW V1 // H&R SPACERS // H&R ARBs // BUILD THREAD

IIVORC

IIVORC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, Devon
Enjoyed reading through that mate, just had lowering springs fitted to mine so the next step for me is the wheel spacers, the 8 mm on the front and 12 mm on the back look good on yours so I think that's what I'll go for.

Goosie

Goosie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Enjoyed reading through that mate, just had lowering springs fitted to mine so the next step for me is the wheel spacers, the 8 mm on the front and 12 mm on the back look good on yours so I think that's what I'll go for.

I have a spare set of 12mm if you need them! You could probably go 10/15mm front/back but I decided to play it safe :)
STEEL GREY R32 MK5 // AAS EXHAUST // KW V1 // H&R SPACERS // H&R ARBs // BUILD THREAD

Moly90

Moly90

Been That long I can not reMember

• Members
  • 1162 posts
  • LocationSherwood Forest
Nice read and car, say where u get that parcel shelf mod from :P I like xD
-:- Saving for a new R32 -:-
.:. R-line Polo .:. - Current
.:. Focus St .:. Sold
.:. Audi B6 a4 Avant 1.8T .:. Showcar - Sold
.:. Volkswagen Up! .:. Daily - Sold
.:. MK4 DPB 3DR .:. Supercharged - Sold

R32OB

R32OB

Semi Erect Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationWashington
Nice read that and the car looks good, if the spacers are still available i could be interested what would the price be if they are available, im in Washington so could pick up.

Goosie

Goosie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Nice read and car, say where u get that parcel shelf mod from :P I like xD

Thanks, It's a now discontinued VW accessory although you might be able to get a replica.

bruce865

bruce865

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Locationruncorn
Looking forward to seeing more from this! Need to get a move on with my mods!

VWR

VWR

• Members
  • 1138 posts
  • LocationBelfast
Liking your work so far. Not sure I would of done the dash tray mod, but I will be staying tuned to this.
MKV R32: DBP - DSG - 5 Door

RobP

RobP

Dirty Member

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Locationessex
Looks smart and got the best colour. What's the thing that sits under the parcel shelf? Also the storage tray in he dash does that get covered up with the grill that's there now?

Thanks
Listen to what people say, but watch what people do!

Goosie

Goosie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth East
Thanks folks! For those interested in spacers, I'll stick an advert up in classifieds soon.

Looks smart and got the best colour. What's the thing that sits under the parcel shelf? Also the storage tray in he dash does that get covered up with the grill that's there now? Thanks

It's just a storage tray for emergency stuff but it's handy as a boot tidy. OEM VW accessory but it was discontinued a while back.

As far as I'm aware, you can't use the original R32 dash grille to cover the storage tray

PaulW

PaulW

Cannot reMember

• Administrators
  • 16142 posts
  • LocationThurso
Top work! Keep it coming. I do like the grey
  • fasyyy likes this

:)

fasyyy

fasyyy

• Members
  • 514 posts
Love the pictures! Love the work!!

The rear tray in the boot can cone in handy, where did you get it from??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Goosie

Goosie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Love the pictures! Love the work!!

The rear tray in the boot can cone in handy, where did you get it from??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Thanks dude! I got mine used, they do come up for sale every now and then!

ad_182_uk

ad_182_uk

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1523 posts
  • LocationLong Eaton, Nottingham
Parcel shelf tray is sweet! Love little trinkets like that.

Im picking up a 3door version in this colour soon should be fun.

Adam.

BrassFlute

BrassFlute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationBath
ECS Tuning in the us sell them..... Not cheap but a nice way of getting rid of stuff floating round I'm the boot.

Goosie

Goosie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth East
Posted Image

This happened yesterday. Gutted isn't the word!

IIVORC

IIVORC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Noooooo how did you do that?!

Goosie

Goosie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Noooooo how did you do that?!

I went round a roundabout! Wasn't particularly fast but it looks like I'm having clearance issues with 8mm spacer up front :(

IIVORC

IIVORC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
ah not good mate, hope it's not too much of a repair job, thinking twice about getting spacers for mine now :(

Boywyld32

Boywyld32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Lovely looking car mate, am a big fan of this colour!! Looks very tidy with some nice mods, your photos are very sharp aswell, assume you have photography as a hobby aswell??

Goosie

Goosie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Lovely looking car mate, am a big fan of this colour!! Looks very tidy with some nice mods, your photos are very sharp aswell, assume you have photography as a hobby aswell??

Thanks buddy!

I shoot semi-pro, mainly people but I like any photography :)

Goosie

Goosie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth East

UPDATE!

Not too much to report. A day before my wheels were due in for a refurb, I picked up a 6inch nail in one of the rear tyres which incidentally was right on its wear limit. I planned on replacing all four tyres at some point as the previous owner had a mixture of Bridgestone and budgets on so it turned out to be pretty good timing. A new set of Michelin PS3 ordered. Fronts to be fitted next week!

My wheels were looking a little tired due to a combination of laziness and laziness (I hate cleaning wheels...). I opted for something different and spent ages looking for the right shade of paint. After much to-ing and fro-ing and various photoshops I'm very happy with how they turned out. Cheers to Chris @ Wefixalloys for his hard work!

Next comes new rear pads and the dreaded insurance renewal.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

IIVORC

IIVORC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Looking good, I like the colour wheels, goes well with the grey

soddz

soddz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
hey mate, great looking motor you have. If you don't mind me asking, for the above video, what was you using to get such a clear and sharp video? looks great and I want to capture video in the future similar to what you've done above.

cheers

Goosie

Goosie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth East
Cheers lads!

hey mate, great looking motor you have. If you don't mind me asking, for the above video, what was you using to get such a clear and sharp video? looks great and I want to capture video in the future similar to what you've done above. cheers

Hi dude, I shot the video using a Full Frame DSLR using a 35mm 1.4 lens in 1080p. That's all I can tell you cos I don't have a clue with video! A gopro could probably achieve similar results

soddz

soddz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Cheers lads!

Hi dude, I shot the video using a Full Frame DSLR using a 35mm 1.4 lens in 1080p. That's all I can tell you cos I don't have a clue with video! A gopro could probably achieve similar results

nice one!

Goosie

Goosie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Haven't been doing much car-wise. Picked up a DAS6 Pro DA polisher and had a quick whirl. It was my first time using a machine polish and it's quite hard work!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Only cleaned one side of the car lol. Wash, clay and full two stage polish. LSP was FK1000P. Check out the beadage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf5GcwaD6fs

Goosie

Goosie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Another minor cleaning update. I've been doing bits of cleaning wherever I can. I've never been one to keep exhaust clean but I decided to give it a go.

After a bit of research, P21S Polishing Soap seems to be the way to go but it isn't stocked anywhere anymore. Turns out this JML Doktor Power stuff is the same thing...

I washed then used the soap to clean off carbon and the less heavy stains. Worked a treat TBH!

I then used some #00 steel wool + Autosol to attack some burnt egg stains (car got egged a while ago :wacko: ) which has unfortunately left some marring but I shall try to correct when I have some finer grade wool.

Still...looks better than before!

Posted Image

Posted Image

• apashi likes this

Goosie

Goosie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Fitted some new bulbs recently...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awesome performance from these bulbs! I drive a lot at night and these are definitely worth while. The previous owner fitted mismatching bulbs and it's been bugging me for ages now. Now I finally have matching bulbs and better performance to boot!

I wrote a little fitting guide with a bit more information HERE.

ChemDuff

ChemDuff

Girly Member

• Lady .:R32 Owners
  • 535 posts
  • LocationThurso
Nice work with the DA!

What's in the back passenger window?
Riding shotgun in ma boii's MK7 R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.