Sean's CatD fixer mk4 r32 - Members Rides - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club.

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Sean's CatD fixer mk4 r32

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

SeanyB

SeanyB

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1039 posts
  • LocationBuckinghamshire / Gerrards cross
Ok, so as a lot of you on here already know, my beloved R32 was involved in a very short lived session of destruction derby with a concrete barrier little over a month ago.
After long thinking long and hard about what I was to do with the Insurer's decision not to repair her, I decided to have her back from them and do the work myself.

I really want to put up a thread of the damage she suffered and work I've done to her in the last week since I've had her back.

Attached File  ATT_1390157596229_12298164_9X.jpg   107.68KB   63 downloadsAttached File  ATT_1390088174066_12298164_4X.jpg   107.48KB   57 downloadsAttached File  ATT_1390157540288_12298164_3X.jpg   103.58KB   61 downloadsAttached File  20140128_121225.jpg   39.82KB   57 downloadsAttached File  20140128_121244.jpg   58.39KB   55 downloadsAttached File  20140128_121313.jpg   40.88KB   52 downloadsAttached File  20140128_121348.jpg   45.88KB   51 downloadsAttached File  20140128_121415.jpg   46.75KB   51 downloadsAttached File  20140128_121423.jpg   41.74KB   50 downloadsAttached File  20140128_121552.jpg   57.21KB   52 downloadsAttached File  20140128_160738.jpg   54.01KB   50 downloadsAttached File  20140131_182609.jpg   40.71KB   50 downloadsAttached File  20140204_105120.jpg   41.61KB   51 downloadsAttached File  20140204_134142.jpg   31.42KB   49 downloadsAttached File  20140204_134154.jpg   35.24KB   52 downloadsAttached File  20140205_085651.jpg   54.29KB   54 downloadsAttached File  20140206_171937.jpg   52.44KB   53 downloadsAttached File  20140206_172016.jpg   43.36KB   61 downloads

This is how she looks now at the end of today :)
Attached File  Screenshot_2014-02-08-20-09-55-1.png   445.81KB   74 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot_2014-02-08-20-10-47-1.png   427.31KB   77 downloads

the wing I'm not happy with.....its definitely a darker tone to the rest :/
Attached File  Screenshot_2014-02-08-20-11-15.png   271.11KB   72 downloads

Left to do is sort out the drivers door and wing mirror and rear arch.
Alloys will go in for a refurb at a later date.

2 issues have popped up since I've been able to put her back on her 4 wheels.
After been driven 100 yards the ESP lights comes on and stays on..... I have a bad feeling the rear differential system may have been knackered somehow due being towed on just her rear wheels 40-50 yards.
Could that be a possibility?

Also.... the passenger side door has picked up a fault some how as the puddle light stays on and the open door light stays on, on the dash even when the door is definitely shut. And even locked :(
Could this be a sensor?

2003 DPB 3 door - KW V3 suspension coilovers - ceramic coated EFR borgwarner 7670 turbo - ceramic coated HPA turbo manifold & downpipe - AEM boost controller - poly bushed Neuspeed antiroll bars - Neuspeed short-shifter with solid bushings - K&N typhoon induction - RS4 conrod bearings - HPA haldex controller - full stainless Miltek non-res exhaust (decat / 200 cell) - Franko's customer full FIS cluster -  auto headlights - illuminated door handles & wing mirrors - footwell leds - full bora illuminations - VEI gauges ( fuel pressure, oil temperature, air intake temperature) interior & exterior JCAP caps black anodised -

My MK4 R32 story part 1 - CatD repair          My MK4 R32 story part 2 - DIY turbo build

PaulW

PaulW

Cannot reMember

• Administrators
  • 16141 posts
  • LocationThurso
Top work fella. Can't be much left to do,?

:)

cuprabob

cuprabob

• Members
  • 19276 posts

Also.... the passenger side door has picked up a fault some how as the puddle light stays on and the open door light stays on, on the dash even when the door is definitely shut. And even locked :(
Could this be a sensor?

Probably door module. Common problem amd plenty.of threafs about it on the forum.

https://www.r32oc.com...ent-part-found/
VW Scirocco GT (170), Rising Blue, 19" Black Lugano Style Pack, Leather, Panoramic Roof, Dynaudio, DAB, Xenons, Cruise, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Folding Mirrors, Winter Pack, Badge Deletion

SeanyB

SeanyB

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1039 posts

Probably door module. Common problem amd plenty.of threafs about it on the forum.

https://www.r32oc.com...ent-part-found/

Thanks Bob! :) was thinking it might be that..... could it be a lose connection with anything? As its literally happend today..... I think I may have tried shutting the door when the latch on it was already closed for some reason somehow causing the door to bounce back.
No visual damage I can see, just thinking something may have come loose.

2003 DPB 3 door - KW V3 suspension coilovers - ceramic coated EFR borgwarner 7670 turbo - ceramic coated HPA turbo manifold & downpipe - AEM boost controller - poly bushed Neuspeed antiroll bars - Neuspeed short-shifter with solid bushings - K&N typhoon induction - RS4 conrod bearings - HPA haldex controller - full stainless Miltek non-res exhaust (decat / 200 cell) - Franko's customer full FIS cluster -  auto headlights - illuminated door handles & wing mirrors - footwell leds - full bora illuminations - VEI gauges ( fuel pressure, oil temperature, air intake temperature) interior & exterior JCAP caps black anodised -

My MK4 R32 story part 1 - CatD repair          My MK4 R32 story part 2 - DIY turbo build

PaulW

PaulW

Cannot reMember

• Administrators
  • 16141 posts
  • LocationThurso
Being towed that distance wouldn't kill a diff.

Get it on VCDS to see

SeanyB

SeanyB

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1039 posts

Being towed that distance wouldn't kill a diff.

Get it on VCDS to see

Got a friend coming round later with a Vag reader to see if that tells me anything.
Will have to book her into a garage for VCDS diagnosis sometime next week if I can as i don't have access to one.

Could an ABS sensor do this? Maybe the driveshaft with hub I sourced could have a dodgy sensor

PaulW

PaulW

Cannot reMember

• Administrators
  • 16141 posts
  • LocationThurso

Got a friend coming round later with a Vag reader to see if that tells me anything. Will have to book her into a garage for VCDS diagnosis sometime next week if I can as i don't have access to one. Could an ABS sensor do this? Maybe the driveshaft with hub I sourced could have a dodgy sensor

Abs fault comes up with the abs light and traction control together.

It could be your steering angle sensor G85

SeanyB

SeanyB

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1039 posts

Abs fault comes up with the abs light and traction control together.

It could be your steering angle sensor G85

I'll check it out..... where is this sensor?

PaulW

PaulW

Cannot reMember

• Administrators
  • 16141 posts
  • LocationThurso

I'll check it out..... where is this sensor?

In your steering wheel. It detects where the wheels are in relation to steering. This could of been knocked out a bit.

Easy enough to rectify if it is that

SeanyB

SeanyB

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1039 posts

In your steering wheel. It detects where the wheels are in relation to steering. This could of been knocked out a bit.

Easy enough to rectify if it is that

Ahh ok! I take it a VCDS would tell you this?
I guess this could be the case with changing the steering rack

Bobobahia

Bobobahia

Long Member

• Members
  • 1093 posts
Great work, really impressed that you rescued it
  • SeanyB likes this

Zig

Zig

Semi-Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4197 posts
  • LocationWest Mids
Glad you got it all sorted mate!!
  • SeanyB likes this

SeanyB

SeanyB

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1039 posts
Ok, with borrowing a mates Vagreader, its found 3 fault codes.

2 of which are from the engine section, something about incorrect/restricted airflow! ? Anyone have any ideas tp whys its throwing this up?

And a further 1 more code under the ABS section with the G85 steering angle sensor.
Attached File  Screenshot_2014-02-08-23-50-34.png   144.66KB   10 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot_2014-02-08-23-50-20.png   101.01KB   10 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot_2014-02-08-23-58-29.png   186.81KB   9 downloads

PaulW

PaulW

Cannot reMember

• Administrators
  • 16141 posts
  • LocationThurso

Ok, with borrowing a mates Vagreader, its found 3 fault codes. 2 of which are from the engine section, something about incorrect/restricted airflow! ? Anyone have any ideas tp whys its throwing this up? And a further 1 more code under the ABS section with the G85 steering angle sensor.

Knew it! I've got a guide up on how to fix the g85

SeanyB

SeanyB

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1039 posts

Knew it! I've got a guide up on how to fix the g85

Awesome stuff! do you have a link Paul?
My mate seems to think with the traction light on it would fail an Mot.... is this correct?
It only seems to come on when you move it 10...20 yards from first initial start off.
Goes away if you're stationery, turn it off and back on again.... drive a further 20 yards and bam, she comes back on

PaulW

PaulW

Cannot reMember

• Administrators
  • 16141 posts
  • LocationThurso

Awesome stuff! do you have a link Paul? My mate seems to think with the traction light on it would fail an Mot.... is this correct? It only seems to come on when you move it 10...20 yards from first initial start off. Goes away if you're stationery, turn it off and back on again.... drive a further 20 yards and bam, she comes back on

No, cars don't fail with orange lights on the dash only reds.

I'll find it tomorrow I'm on ForumRunner :-( it's a 10 minute job to sort but you need full VCDS

SeanyB

SeanyB

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1039 posts
I think I found your thread :)

Whats "the basic setting" procedure?

IainR32

IainR32

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1023 posts
Not so hard to put right in the end ?

PaulW

PaulW

Cannot reMember

• Administrators
  • 16141 posts
  • LocationThurso

I think I found your thread :) Whats "the basic setting" procedure?

You need to see how many degrees your steering is out by. That's done on VCDS.

If it's minus then turn the wheel left hand down if it's + then right hand down.

Someone with VCDS can check for you

DougalR

DougalR

South East Organiser

• Regional Event Coordinator
  • 6816 posts
  • LocationKent, near Canterbury
Excellent work man! good choice in fixing it, Insurance company didnt get rip you off. An R saved from the breakers is always
a good thing!

How long did it all take you put her right dude??

May the boost be with you

.:Rotrex powered sleeper...well sort of.... :)
You can only plan so far.....After that, well you have to take a few leaps of faith.......

IainR32

IainR32

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1023 posts
Have you had alignment done? If not that can do this if it's so far out of alignment

PaulW

PaulW

Cannot reMember

• Administrators
  • 16141 posts
  • LocationThurso

Have you had alignment done? If not that can do this if it's so far out of alignment

That won't switch the light off.

The lights on because the steering wheels doesn't know what angle the wheels are at.

SeanyB

SeanyB

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1039 posts

Not so hard to put right in the end ?

Ahh mate..... I did all the work but the spraying on my own! lol! There were a few moments I just wanted to kick the car off the axle stands and spit at it lol!
Mainly once noticing I had split the power steering line dropping and taking out the subframe.
And with the amount of time I twatted me head being under the arch hour after hour.
i'm hoping to get her in for a 4 wheel alignment and an Mot tomorrow.
That will tell me if shes working all good as she should :)

You need to see how many degrees your steering is out by. That's done on VCDS.

If it's minus then turn the wheel left hand down if it's + then right hand down.

Someone with VCDS can check for you

Ok Paul, might have to be the local VW as I know no one with a VCDS.

Anyone from this forum in my area on that might have one? (high wycombe)

Excellent work man! good choice in fixing it, Insurance company didnt get rip you off. An R saved from the breakers is always
a good thing!

How long did it all take you put her right dude??

Yeah man.... thought long and hard and almost passed it up. a few people on here convinced me to do so, and I'm glad :)
Hmmm, all of this week really, working it around work and stuff :)
Share a place with a landlord with a daddy of all garages in the back yard! Name any tool, he's got it! Apart from the stupid M10 bolt needed to take off the drive shaft.
spent £28 in Halfords buying a set to source the tool needed to do the job.
He even has a pit in it! :)

Alignment will be done tomorrow hopefully. If this doesn't correct the issue as Paul says, ill take it to Vw to sort out.

IainR32

IainR32

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1023 posts

That won't switch the light off.

The lights on because the steering wheels doesn't know what angle the wheels are at.

From experience on later vw audi if the alignment is out the light goes on, get it aligned take it for a drive or lock left to right to calibrate and the light goes out

SeanyB

SeanyB

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1039 posts
Does anyone on here no what those other fault codes are about with the secondary air injection?

From experience on later vw audi if the alignment is out the light goes on, get it aligned take it for a drive or lock left to right to calibrate and the light goes out

I've read this from an audi forum http://audisrs.com/v...188&start=0
Is this what you're talking about?

IainR32

IainR32

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1023 posts

Does anyone on here no what those other fault codes are about with the secondary air injection?

I've read this from an audi forum http://audisrs.com/v...188&start=0
Is this what you're talking about?

Yeah not worked that deep on mk4 r32 was just an idea mate

SeanyB

SeanyB

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1039 posts

Yeah not worked that deep on mk4 r32 was just an idea mate

Yeah man..... its all appreciatated! I think this method, is the one Paul is on about....you need a VCDS to calibrate the steering wheel.

IainR32

IainR32

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1023 posts

Yeah man..... its all appreciatated! I think this method, is the one Paul is on about....you need a VCDS to calibrate the steering wheel.

Probably with it been older ecu

SeanyB

SeanyB

Loyal Member

• Members
  • 1039 posts
Ok so she flew through the Mot today with absolutely no issues :) a very happy chappy!
She had the tracking done also, which the mechanic said only needed a very slight adjustment. She drives straight and true just like she used to :) no knocking, juddering, rubbing, pulling or anything of that kind.
Tracking didn't fix the G85 steering angle sensor though, so shes booked in Vw high wycombe friday to have her door module replaced along with recalibration of the steering wheel and investigation/diagnosis of the secondary air injection.

Big thumbs up!!! :)

r32maco

r32maco

• Members
  • 927 posts
Great news :)
.:R32 mk4, Shiney & Slammed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

r32oc.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on r32oc.com is generated by its users. r32oc.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.